Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am also new to this forum. I have a 4 year old toy poodle who is the love of my life! However, he has some broken house training issues. My pup and I lived with my parents for the first 3 years of his life. I worked 40+ hours a week so they watched him and instead of letting him out to go potty, they would just let him go in the house and then clean it up...

So now that I'm living on my own with him, he is having some problems. I have tried potty-training him the best that I can. He knows he should be going outside. He is too smart for his own good! He sleeps on the bed with me every night, but if I don't let him out RIGHT before we go to bed, he jumps off in the middle of the night and pees on the carpet. I used to put him in his crate while I was at work and he has always hated the crate so I started leaving him outside and surprisingly I was coming home to a clean carpet. It's so weird because if I am home, for example, on the weekend he will sort of let me know that he has to go outside. I still leave him out and he doesn't go in the house while I am away during the day (at least not that I know of).

I've read many many posts about cleaning up the soiled area well so he can't smell it and go back there and potty, but it is such a pain and to be honest, I've given up.. So I try to take him outside as often as I can and if I forget or fall asleep and don't take him out before bedtime, he just gets right up off the bed and pees and I'm so frustrated I just let it go. I'm desperate! This happens almost every night!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Treat him like you would a puppy. Take him out often and treat and praise heavily when he goes out there. Every time. I'd take the water up in the evening, I always do this while house training. It helps to limit having to go at night. And you do have to make sure you clean the messes up, an enzyme cleaner is best. With time and consistency he should be house trained.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.