Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We have a 4 month old Cavalier King Charles. He has been doing well with toilet training and had stopped having accidents in the house. We have had rain for the first time in his life this week and it seems like he’s regressed in his toilet training. We still take him out regularly but holds it until we come back inside and then will walk through the house weeing. This morning the rain has stopped and we were outside for 20 minutes where he pooped twice. We came back inside and got back into bed... then he wee’d in our bed!! (He’s always been so clean so we didn’t mind him sleeping on our bed). I really don’t know what to do. Help?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When you take him outside and bring him back in, wait 5 minutes right by the door and then take him out again. Don't take your eyes off him for those 5 minutes and if he is getting ready to pee, hustle him out the door and praise him for going outside.

4 month old puppies cannot be expected to have it all solidly down pat. That pup is still a baby. Regression is normal.

Take him out more often. And if it rains again, take him outside and make a party out of it. "Yay! It's raining! that means we get special rain treats! And when we come in, we get our paws wiped and we get petted and get more treats!" Encourage him to love the rain.

And above all never, ever scold him or even look cross at him if he pees in the house. It's not his fault and scolding him will backfire on you and damage your relationship as well. He will simply sneak off to pee where you don't see him if you scold, and it won't teach him not to pee in the house. Just go gently back to puppy training and all will be well when he gets older.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Some pups don't like getting wet or snow. I'd see about actively working on him associating great things with wet grass, getting wet, and different textures now, when it's more convenient and intentional. Though I've got nothing for snow. Other than that, just staying the course? You're on the right track and hiccups happen. And using an enzymatic cleaner if you haven't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! Snow won’t be a problem here, we’re near QLD in Australia 🙂 I hadn’t thought about making him like the rain - so rain party it is!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts