Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day guys! recently me and my husband has observed that our 4 month old FEMALE puppy pees 3-4 times in different places during a walk. Is that marking? i know marking is for the unneutered male dogs, but she is spayed. Or should i be worried for a UTI? on really warm days, i try to give her water a lot. After she gets up from a nap, i give her water too. And this is all apart from the water she gets during meals.

I have also noticed that she is a bit more mellow around the house..she plays with me when i give her toys but she just tends to lie down on the floor or in her crate if im on the computer or doing chores. When we first got her, she used to run around the house, sniffing everything (or worse, trying to chew anything she can find). We got her 8/20/2013. Also, we found out that her high value treats are spam, steak, cheese. We gave her bits of steak for dinner when she stays in her crate and while the tv is on (for her tv anxiety). The next day she pooped twice, first was formed, the next one was diarrhea..she was about to go in the house, good thing i caught her and took her outside before the mess came in. Does that mean that she is finally adjusting to her new home? or should i be worried of her getting ill of something?

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Not marking. She's too young, and besides that's not really how mature females mark if they do.

She sounds possibly unwell to me. I'd be taking her to the vet for a check up.
You have listed several symptoms that are concerning.
- frequent urination
- lethargy, not being normal perky puppy
- abnormal poo

Puppies can get very sick, very quickly. If you think she's not right, then you are probably right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 10 month old female puppy has done the same thing since she was about 4 months old. Whenever we go on walks she'll "mark", for lack of better description. It's more like a really quick pee, 2-3 seconds max. When I first take her outside, she'll pee normally. Then as we're walking around she'll sniff around, find something interesting, and then pee near it for 2 seconds or so. She only does this outside though ( she is trained to pee indoors on pads as well since we can't always come home to let her out during the day). When she pees on her pads at home it's always a normal pee.

I always wondered if she was marking, but she did it since she was a baby, and still does it after we had her spayed 2 months ago.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I doubt that at her age she's marking. It may be a case of pee a little but don't empty the bladder because something else has caught her attention, run to the next interesting thing, then pee a little more... Bring her to the vet for a check up just to be on the safe side since UTI will make housetraining impossible, not to mention the pain of it, and it's always best to rule out medical concerns.

Both male and female dogs mark, and it doesn't matter if they are fixed or not. My spayed female marked and she'd lift her leg to do so LOL.

She should have water available to her all day long but feel free to pick it up 2 hours before bed to help lessen the chance of middle of the night potty accidents.

I would not feed her spam, even the low sodium type has a lot of salt and is very high in fat which can upset her tummy and may be why she's getting diarrhea. The cheese can also be causing her diarrhea some puppies / dogs are lactose intolerant. Try cutting out the spam and if she's still having problems cut out the cheese and see if that helps. If the diarrhea gets any worse or doesn't clear up in a couple days please take her to the vet since it could be any number of things causing it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i only did the spam once, thanks for the warning on that. I have started her on the cheese first whenever i do the tv anxiety training with her, and i was expecting a lot of diarrhea the day after or right after (because i have read that dogs can be lactose intolerant). She had formed, soft stool when she went out potty the next day, no diarrhea after. The diarrhea came once yesterday morning to be exact, i already took her out for her normal potty and walk (she went poop and pee, poop was normal), let her loose i the house then i noticed that she started sniffing around and almost squatted until i caught her and took her out..then she had that diarrhea. Do you think is that from the steak the night before? her poops today are formed and soft.

as for the peeing thing,i bring her to her water bowl after naps, apart from her usual meals. and she goes by herself when she is let loose in the house. and i especially really bring her there when its really hot outside, after a walk or she had a chew when we go out (a rawhide substitute). i take her out more frequently when she drinks frequently. but even my husband also said that she does the same thing when he takes her out..peeing in 3-4 different places during a walk.
she already got spayed when we got her from the shelter.

(my husband has not had the knack of being observant of her signs of needing to go potty yet...lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts