Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have seven dogs of varying sizes and ages, and live in a very hot part of Arizona, which means that water is a must! My 4-month old puppy, Apollo - who I have had since he was 1-month old because someone abandoned him -has just started a new habit of digging in the water bowls. At first I was not surprised, as he is some kind of german shepherd and he (along with my year old German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix) absolutely adore the water. We keep a clean kitty pool in the yard that they play in all day, and that used to satiate him.

However, when this habit started it came along with a sudden bout of separation anxiety. This is also a new development, that only occurs when I leave the house. The house arrangement is that all of the dogs are locked in the kitchen with a dog door to the (very secure) backyard, allowing them to play and exercise while also being able to come into the air conditioning (since temps reach 110+ in the summer) and making sure the cats stay safely in the house. We have never had issues with separation anxiety before, because all of the dogs love each other and have been sufficient company whenever we leave.

I also work and intermittent schedule and never work the same days or the same shift, which means that there's no build-up for the separation anxiety, it only occurs the second I put them in the kitchen and walk out the door - and again, only Apollo, my 4-month old has this problem. We keep the kitty pool in the yard, but the water gets very dirty very quickly because the yard is sand and Apollo and Xena are in and out of the pool constantly, so we have always kept a large, 5-gallon water bowl inside the house for the dogs. Recently, Apollo has been digging all 5-gallons out of the bowl and flooding the kitchen, which is damaging the floors and the walls, and leaving the dogs with no water. We have an automatic water bowl attached to the backyard hose as well, but that water is not entirely clean either as he digs in it with his dirty feet.

My problem is that we have seven dogs, in the middle of summer, who are being forced to drink either the dirty pool water or the semi-dirty water from the dispenser outside, when they used to always have access to clean and fresh water inside. This digging only occurs when I leave, even for short amounts of time, and he does not stop until all 5 gallons of water is out of the bowl. I am looking for advice on what to do about this behavior, since it's very difficult to correct something that you are never home to see. Even when he is locked in the kitchen/outside with everyone and he knows I am in the house he does not dig, it's only when I leave through the front or side doors.

I am also hoping someone might be able to recommend a water dispenser/fountain that will allow me to keep clean water inside for everyone else, but might limit his digging?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain everything, but I am searching everywhere and I'm just not sure what to do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't had this problem with my dogs before, so I might not have the best answer. I did a quick amazon search and found a dog bowl that is supposed to slow down dogs drinking so they don't choke. It has a floating disk in it with a hole in the middle. It might discourage his from digging in it if there's no visible water to dig from. (Here's the link to it: https://www.amazon.com/ABNO1-Water-spill-Slow-Spill-Spill/dp/B078TCKTWC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1528668109&sr=8-11&keywords=dog+proof+dog+water )

·
Registered
420 Posts
You may want to get a few dog water bottles for inside and, a dog faucet, like Lixit for outside - no bowls, clean water every sip.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
They make water fountains for cats who like to drink running water. Maybe they make one big enough to use for your dogs? Or get a few, this way they shouldn't go empty. Or isolate him with a fountain and keep the other dogs setup the same.

·
Registered
420 Posts
They make water fountains for cats who like to drink running water. Maybe they make one big enough to use for your dogs? Or get a few, this way they shouldn't go empty. Or isolate him with a fountain and keep the other dogs setup the same.
Look up the Lixit brand, they make water bottles and faucet attachments just for dogs. All of mine use them, didn't take long for them to catch on, a few hours and, they knew how to get a drink.

They are great for making sure the dog always has clean water and, the bottles are perfect for long road trips or long flights, just fill half full for flights due to pressure changes. If you have a puppy or a dog that likes to chew, stick with a glass bottle so they can't chew it. (Unless flying then, it must be plastic and inside the crate so, use bitter apple on the body of the bottle if you must.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts