Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's been having a combination of diarrhea and constipation for like a week. Early on, she would be pooping like every couple hours. Last 2 days, she doesn't poop all day until night time and then she goes in her exercise pen that I keep her in at night time. Last night, she didn't poop all day and then I finally got her to go at 2 am outside thinking I'm all good. I wake up today and there is 2 pieces of poop in her cage. Last night, she actually finally had a pretty solid stool outside at 2 am but she went back to dark diarrhea in cage

I don't know what to do. I have her on great quality dog food that's designed for pitbulls. I put her on chicken and rice for a few days but this pattern is still there. She was eating this high quality dog food for a month before there was any problems and she gained tons of quality weight. She seems to feel great now, eats everything in sight, stomach doesn't hurt, has tons of energy. I had a vet look at her last Monday and said she seemed great. I think what could have upset her stomach is we gave her some coconut oil and also whipped cream like couple weeks ago but I assumed that would stop after a day or two. Why is it still going on? Could it be a bug? If it's a bug, what explains the constipation? Although I don't see her straining to go to bathroom, she just doesn't go all day until night time. When she went last night. It came out really easy. I say constipation because she doesn't go all day.

I don't know what to do. Should I go to vet with stool sample? Is she pooping in her cage because she did it once and now she remembers the area due to smell?

·
Registered
505 Posts
What did the vet check for and which tests were made to establish that the puppy was in full health? I would always be very alert on a puppy with these kinds of problems. It’s not the same thing as if an adult dog had stomach issues, it’s more serious for a puppy.

It could be the coconut oil and whipped cream even though she got it a few weeks ago. One dog I had accidentally ate some chip dip and he was not used to eating anything else than his kibble and had a very very sensitive stomach. I think it took over a month for his stomach to recover since his bowel got inflamed. For a couple of weeks he had to go out every hour, even during the night (I was drained lol).. So I wouldn’t rule out that being the possible issue.

However It could be parasites, allergies or other underlying diseases. Isn’t allergies very common for pitbulls? It could be food allergies and in that case it doesn’t matter if it’s great quality food you’re giving, if it contains something that the dog will react bad to. Stool samples sounds like a good idea. But I’m still curios on what tests the vet ran to determine her wellbeing?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I mentioned in your other post about this to try pro and prebiotics. Simple act of a a trigger food can put gut out of whack.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did the vet check for and which tests were made to establish that the puppy was in full health? I would always be very alert on a puppy with these kinds of problems. It’s not the same thing as if an adult dog had stomach issues, it’s more serious for a puppy.

It could be the coconut oil and whipped cream even though she got it a few weeks ago. One dog I had accidentally ate some chip dip and he was not used to eating anything else than his kibble and had a very very sensitive stomach. I think it took over a month for his stomach to recover since his bowel got inflamed. For a couple of weeks he had to go out every hour, even during the night (I was drained lol).. So I wouldn’t rule out that being the possible issue.

However It could be parasites, allergies or other underlying diseases. Isn’t allergies very common for pitbulls? It could be food allergies and in that case it doesn’t matter if it’s great quality food you’re giving, if it contains something that the dog will react bad to. Stool samples sounds like a good idea. But I’m still curios on what tests the vet ran to determine her wellbeing?

what makes this incredibly strange is she doesn't poop all day until midnight and then poops twice in a 6 hour period

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got her to poop outside tonight at 9 pm after not going all day

Take her inside and she poops again at 9:45. What...the...fuck? This is so bizarre

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most humans dont shit at the same time everyday so why do you expect your dog to!!!!!
Ive suggested twice proprebiotics which obviously would help your dog which you chose to ignore

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Most humans dont shit at the same time everyday so why do you expect your dog to!!!!!
Ive suggested twice proprebiotics which obviously would help your dog which you chose to ignore

last night she pooped 5 times between 12 to 5 am after not going all day. Unbelievably strange. This has been going on for several days now

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
Has she ever been scolded for toileting in the house? That can make some dogs wait for opportunities to toilet when you are not there, because they think it is the toileting that makes you cross, as opposed to toileting specifically in the house.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Was it normal or diarrhea? Again, what tests did the vet do to determine her health?

How is her general condition? Is she her normal self, happy and alert? Or is she lethargic and seem tired? Other things to check to determine her general condition are:
  • Gums
  • Temperature
  • Dehydration
  • Pulse
  • Breathing
Gums: What you want to make sure is that the muscous membrane color isn’t too pale or too red (or any other weird colour). They should be salmon-pink- colored. You can also check by the eyes.

Temperature: The temperature should be around 38-39 degrees C/ 100-102,5 degrees F (taken in the rectum).

Dehydration: Is she drinking enough? If you lift up her scruff (is that what it’s called, her neck skin) and let go of it and it slowly goes back to normal she’s probably dehydrated. It should “bounce” right back. Dehydration is a common and dangerous result of prolonged diarrhea so this is something you have to be very alert to.

Pulse: The easiest way to check the pulse is on the dogs inner thigh. I don’t remember what the pulse actually should be (and maybe it depends on the dog) but I’m sure you can google that. Make sure that it’s not too fast or slow.

Breathing: Is her breathing normal? Does it seem like she have strained breathing, breaths slower than usually or maybe is panting? I don’t know if this is accurate but when my dog was sick and had strained breathing he breathed more with his stomach than his chest.

Those are some simple but vital things you can check on her at home.

But I will say this again, these kind of issues can be very serious and dangerous to a puppy. Please take the dog to a vet and get her properly checked.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Has she ever been scolded for toileting in the house? That can make some dogs wait for opportunities to toilet when you are not there, because they think it is the toileting that makes you cross, as opposed to toileting specifically in the house.
On another forum I read it but havent joined hes discussing this and ignoring everyones advice and people are fed up with him

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joanne the issue seems to be that she wants to poop around 12 to 6 am every night. I just took her out and she pooped again outside at 6 am

Rest of day she's not pooping at all

I should mention she's not peeing in her cage overnight. She seems to have learned how to hold that for 4 hours

What should I do as far as food goes? Put her back on chicken and rice?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was it normal or diarrhea? Again, what tests did the vet do to determine her health?

How is her general condition? Is she her normal self, happy and alert? Or is she lethargic and seem tired? Other things to check to determine her general condition are:
  • Gums
  • Temperature
  • Dehydration
  • Pulse
  • Breathing
Gums: What you want to make sure is that the muscous membrane color isn’t too pale or too red (or any other weird colour). They should be salmon-pink- colored. You can also check by the eyes.

Temperature: The temperature should be around 38-39 degrees C/ 100-102,5 degrees F (taken in the rectum).

Dehydration: Is she drinking enough? If you lift up her scruff (is that what it’s called, her neck skin) and let go of it and it slowly goes back to normal she’s probably dehydrated. It should “bounce” right back. Dehydration is a common and dangerous result of prolonged diarrhea so this is something you have to be very alert to.

Pulse: The easiest way to check the pulse is on the dogs inner thigh. I don’t remember what the pulse actually should be (and maybe it depends on the dog) but I’m sure you can google that. Make sure that it’s not too fast or slow.

Breathing: Is her breathing normal? Does it seem like she have strained breathing, breaths slower than usually or maybe is panting? I don’t know if this is accurate but when my dog was sick and had strained breathing he breathed more with his stomach than his chest.

Those are some simple but vital things you can check on her at home.

But I will say this again, these kind of issues can be very serious and dangerous to a puppy. Please take the dog to a vet and get her properly checked.

She seems exactly the same as month ago when she was having very solid stools. She runs around all day, has huge appetite, no other problems at all

I'm gonna go to vet Monday. They're closed today

·
Registered
505 Posts
Joanne the issue seems to be that she wants to poop around 12 to 6 am every night. I just took her out and she pooped again outside at 6 am

Rest of day she's not pooping at all

I should mention she's not peeing in her cage overnight. She seems to have learned how to hold that for 4 hours

What should I do as far as food goes? Put her back on chicken and rice?
How do you know she’s constipated during the day? Couldn’t it just be due the time she’s being fed etc. How does her routine looks with feeding time and toilet breaks? I’m still wondering if she have diarrhea during the night?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you know she’s constipated during the day? Couldn’t it just be due the time she’s being fed etc. How does her routine looks with feeding time and toilet breaks? I’m still wondering if she have diarrhea during the night?

I walk her every 2 hours. I feed her morning and 6 pm

·
Registered
505 Posts
You asked me about feeding time and toilet breaks
I’ve asked what tests the vet ran. I also asked if the discharge was normal or diarrhea during the night. Then I asked how you can tell she’s constipated during the day. And It would also be great if you could answer Joannes question, if she’s ever been scolded for toileting indoors.

In addition I also wonder what food you’re giving her and how you’ve been housetraining her?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I’ve asked what tests the vet ran. I also asked if the discharge was normal or diarrhea during the night. Then I asked how you can tell she’s constipated during the day. And It would also be great if you could answer Joannes question, if she’s ever been scolded for toileting indoors.

In addition I also wonder what food you’re giving her and how you’ve been housetraining her?
Hes feeding bullymax muscle building food for pitbulls. I read that on the sister forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts