Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an 8 month presa canario puppy. I started to train with him after he knew his name well. I first started with getting him to sit by coaxing him with a treat then proceeded to laying down laying down. Every time I fed him I would whistle very loud so he would understand to associate his food with the sound of the whistle, this really motivates a dog to come. I also prased him heavily when he came. The hardest thing was to teach him to stay. for this I used a 4'x4' square piece of plywood I would sit him down on it and gave him the command "stay" along with the hand gesture. If he got off the piece of plywood I would correct him. (This makes the dog associate that when he is told to stay he has a perimiter in which he must stay.)I started off slowly and worked my way up. At first he would only sit and i would back up and i would wack right back to reward him, while training a dog especially a puppie you need to take into consideration their attention spand. Slowly increase the amount of time you make the dog stay before you reward him. Now it is to the point where I can have him stay and walk out of his sight and whistle for him to come.

One of the things people do not really think of while training a dog is that a dog does not understand human language. This is why you need to make it clear to associate the command with exactly what you want the dog to do. The dog will learn to associate what it is doing with the command after some time.

I have had a lot of experience with dogs if you need help or need ideas on trainign your dog ask i will try to help.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
You said you would correct him...how did you correct him?

I don't use corrections with my dogs and they pick up commands quickly :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i do not call dogs from a stay, i go get them and release them. also with your recall, you are going to find this is probably going to be very different outside, as you are not calling him to feed him, and the distraction is much higher.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Good point. I, however, do release my dog from a stay from close up and far away. But that is bc we will be going into herding so distance is important.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Good point. I, however, do release my dog from a stay from close up and far away. But that is bc we will be going into herding so distance is important.
Posted via Mobile Device
hearding is different. but with normal stay i would not recall from it. when you need a dog to stay, you need them to stay. i dont want the worry about them being anxious to be released from a distance. but thats just how i teach it.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I do both, release and a return. Never had an issue, tho I do recommend to people that they do only a return, not a release...as there is alot more proofing to be done if your going to use a release, and the average owner isn't going to do that much proofing.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great job. I think. You sound proud of what you accomplished and you should take pride in anything you've been able to train your pet. Well trained pets are a blessing and make dog ownership great.

Still though perhaps you can assist me because I don't understand what you're posting exactly, you taught your puppy to come to you via a whistle and to stay at four months and used a combination of food rewards and some form of corrective methods?

If that's the case that's cool, but you may want to browse this forum and read up on some alternative based training theories. A lot of us here are more orientated towards positive reinforcement methods of training for both tricks (i.e. come, sit, stay, down) and behavioral modification, as well as in rare circumstances using negative punishment (removing something from the environment -- i.e. yourself or your attention -- to get a desired response...contrary to positive punishment which is enforcing something on the environment or dog -- i.e. spooking the animal, a jerk on a leash, a loud "no", etc. (I think...ugh...Mikey you can show the graph again if I remembered it wrong :rolleyes: I'll admit, that graph helped me..hah)) for based behavioral correction methods.

Again whatever you've been able to each at this age is awesome! Being the owner of a four month old puppy I know how challenging they can be; their energy level is non-stop no matter how much you walk them, train them, play with them, or attention you give them and when they're not sleeping they're fixated on something (be it wanting to smother you with loves as if you're going to disappear when they blink, barking at shadows, destroying or clobbering their toys, being pesky little nippers for a few minutes, running through the house like they're Scrappy-Do mixed with the energizer bunny, mixed with a blender that's been set to high, or just wanting something...something and you can't figure out what it is).

Still though, being not very experienced with dogs (you mention that you are) and very inexperienced with clicker (and the like) based training I can say for positive even at four months you can accomplish more than you'd imagine by just making everything a game for them. Sit, down, stay, come-here, basic manners like leave-it, give, and touch, and even lots of "tricks" (the neat showing off kind) are possible at the age and the breed doesn't even matter (pshaw, whoever wants to say certain breeds are incapable of this or that would be mistaken!) Mix that with impulse control games, keeping the pace active and interesting for them, and introducing new concepts all the time and you'll have their attention captivated all the time and them doing back flips before you know it.

If you need any help on where to get started feel free to ask. Lot of people here are very open and willing to help as long as you keep an open mind, ask questions, and keep the tone nice and civil. Criosphynix is inparticualry awesome about it and has been a total inspiration to me (and I imagine lots of other folks here). If you browse the forum though you'll find thread after thread where she and others post lists of everything from great ideas to books and links to articles and videos that will give you a head-start on neat new ways to have your puppy enthusiastically doing anything you could hope for and more.

Good luck with your puppy! :)

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
I teach both "wait" and "stay". I will release/call my dogs from a distance when they are "waiting". But for a stay, I always return and release them with a verbal and physical cue (I say "free and touch their chests).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I teach both "wait" and "stay". I will release/call my dogs from a distance when they are "waiting". But for a stay, I always return and release them with a verbal and physical cue (I say "free and touch their chests).
thats perfectly acceptable. thats because stay and wait are 2 completely different cues. if i want my dog to wait at a door, i will release her once i am through it. if i say stay, she better not move her butt an inch!... and she knows it lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello all, I have been reading up on some training ideas and you are all very informative! I am wondering if anyone can advise me on how to work with my 4mo Rat Terrier/Chihuahua x, I am doing training a little at a time with him because he does loose interest fast but I can't seem to get him to lay down on his own to teach him down. I get him into a sit and then take the treat and get his focus then lower it slowly to the ground but either his butt pops up or he backs up and stands up. I'm not sure how to entice him into a down position so that I can add the command..... Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmmm interesting suggestion I will try it... I will try ANYTHING. He is so stubborn... or maybe he's not being stubborn, idk maybe his attention span is just SUPER SHORT cuz he seems to loose interest very quickly in ANY treat!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
how long are your training sessions? maybe try shorter sessions, and ending them while the pup is still engaged... one trick is to just grab like 5 treats and train, quickly, then end it, as if it is a real bummer that the party is over, then move on to something else, i like to jump back and forth between training and play a few times... ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
how long are your training sessions? maybe try shorter sessions, and ending them while the pup is still engaged... one trick is to just grab like 5 treats and train, quickly, then end it, as if it is a real bummer that the party is over, then move on to something else, i like to jump back and forth between training and play a few times... ;)
That sounds about right I just grab a few treats (10 or so) and then he goes thru them for about 3 or 4 commands then wants to walk off. I try to keep them short. I tried all different kinds of treats and it doesn't matter he gets board or something. Also, when Bug (the 1yr old) is out with him he seems to focus more because he sees Bug doing a "sit" when he's told and then copies the behavior when he's alone is when he gets less interested. It seems like he's more interested in finding Bug to tell you the truth (who was in bed for Hank's session).

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
then make sure that he is hungry when you try to train, and i would work in the lowest distraction area you can find at first... i've had some luck with the bathroom...:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Be more interesting than the surroundings! That usually keeps their attention. Lol, that being said, my 15 week old mal will sit, lie down, recall, wait, stay, heel, search, track, gaurd, bite, let go.. all on command. She is awesome. I am NO trainer! LOL my 2 year old **** hound will occasionally sit on command! Greta loves to work and learn, Maddie the **** dog loves to do her own thing and could care less what I think of it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.