Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got bella her first bag of 4 health puppy formula. She is about 12-13 pounds and 4 months old. I know I have to mix it with her Purina Puppy Chow for a while. The back of the bag says for a 10-20 pound pup that is 3-4 months old to feed 2-2 1/2 cups a day that seems like a-lot for her size. I only feed her 1 cup a day of her purina and she does fine.

How much of the new formula should I feed her once I can give her 100% of the new

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
What does the bag say for the next age category? Puppies do need a lot of calories for growing.

The general recommendation for transitioning is start with 10% new food, 90% old food and move up by 10% every few days (20%-80%, then 30%-70%, etc), as long as the dog is maintaining good poops. If the poop gets too soft, give them the same mix until it firms back up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It does look like a lot for a puppy, but since they're growing and need the energy and nutrients, it's alright. Follow the bag's reccomendations. If you notice your pup getting fat even for a puppy, clip it back by a fourth of a cup. I mean really fat, not just normal good puppy roundness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts