Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Puppy is currently on purina puppy chow.She doesn't do horrible on it no skin issues, no stomach issues other then some vomiting she had about a month ago and diarreha she had yesterday that cleared up, ive had her on it since I got her about 2 months ago. I am considering switching her to 4 health since a 16 pound bag of purina has so far lasted her a little over a month and she still has plenty left, I feed her about a cup to cup 1/2 a day which is what is recommended on the bag for her estimated adult weight. I currently pay about 11$ a bag but 4 health is about 21$ for the same size little bit more if I go for a grain free formula.

What are your opinions on 4health?

Should I go for grain free or not since she doesn't seem to have allergies to grain?

Will I be feeding her less or more of the 4 health then I currently feed her on purina

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I've never fed it personally, but I think it is a fairly decent brand. I always advise feeding grain-free kibble, even if your dog doesn't have grain allergies.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love 4Health. I feed it to my dog and cats. It is a 4 star food on dogfoodadvisor.com which is good. I wouldnt feed less then a 4 star food. Purina puppy chow on the other hand is a 1 star food....

I'd definitely switch from dog chow.

I feed my dog food with grains. I have a small dog though so that makes some difference. Grain free or not is just a personal choice.

I cant say how much u will need to feed but usually u have to feed more of a bad brand and less of a better brand because of the better ingredients.

If/when u do switch make sure to make it a slow switch, gradually mixing the foods together alittle more over time.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I like 4Health as a cheaper option. It's a good food.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used 4health for a while and it was a good inexpensive food. I switched to Diamond naturals extreme athlete for the extra protein and fats.

·
Registered
876 Posts
4health is rated as a 4 to 4.5 star food from Dogfoodadvisor. It's one of the best kibbles you can get out there for its price. You may be feeding your pup less on 4health than on purina as it doesn't have as much useless, wasted filler.

You should not be feeding your puppy based on a guessed adult weight, you should be feeding her based on her CURRENT weight. If you don't know what that is, an easy way is to weigh yourself on the bathroom scale, then pick up your pup and weigh yourself again while holding her, then subtract the first from the second.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I LOVE 4Health. I have a dog with an extremely finicky body and problematic allergies. I tried several decent brand kibbles to fix her hair loss, constant itchiness and oily coat. 4Health Salmon was what I finally ended up with and she does great on it.

It's good to note that ALL 4Health is corn, wheat and soy free. So whether you go regular or grain free, it's a much healthier option than puppy chow.

I do alternate between the grain-inclusive Salmon and the grain-free turkey with my three. My Rat Terrier prefers the turkey, but Quenya does better on a fish-based food (I'm guessing it's something about the omega/oils in fish) but I like to switch proteins up with my crew.

Most truly food and dog savvy people will tell you: As long as you aren't feeding food hyped up with corn, artificial flavors, dyes, unidentified by-products and "mysterious" ingredients, if the food works for your dog, go for it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Puppies need more calories than adult dogs. They have higher protein requirements too. If 4 Health has a puppy kibble then see how she does on it.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I've never fed 4 Health but based on reviews, I wouldn't hesitate to feed it. I, personally, feed grain free even though my dog doesn't have allergies to grain. Regarding feeding less.... I like to think of it like people. If you're eating a bad diet, you tend to need to eat more to feel full. If you're eating a clean diet of lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc. you don't need as much food to fill up. Dog Chow = a McDonald's diet, 4-5 star dog foods = a clean diet.

I commend you for researching better quality foods within your price range. So many people settle on bad food for their pets because they don't research. There are options! :)

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to be honest cheapest is 4 health and thats out of my budget considering my parents are both on social security and we struggle now and I get financial aid for college and what ever I don't spend is basically mine so I get about 900 every 4-5 months which will be used to buy the dog food so I have a little I can go to about 21$ as long as its only 1 bag a month

1 - 12 of 12 Posts