Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so ive been looking for something tobhelp freshen my dogs breath. Alot of people say "greenies" buy ive heard so many bad things about them ive decided to stay away. But today I found out the 4health makes something similar and i was wanting people opinions on it. The picture provided is the nutrition facts.
Shoukd be noted that i dont intend to follow their feeding recommendations. Shell get one or two a week as opposed to a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Have you considered giving bones like antlers, or chicken necks as a treat? I find real bones do a much better job of actually cleaning my dog's teeth.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why are Greenies bad? Just curious, as our breeder sent us home with a sample when we picked up our puppy and said she uses them once they are a bit older.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The old formula wasn't very good at being broken down once in the stomach so they caused some obstructions when large pieces were swallowed. I've heard that they have since changed their formula. I don't have anything to back that up though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The old formula wasn't very good at being broken down once in the stomach so they caused some obstructions when large pieces were swallowed. I've heard that they have since changed their formula. I don't have anything to back that up though.
Thanks! Will likely be a while before I try anything like that anyway but figured I'd ask :) Also, saw that you mentioned in another post the food you have Echo on. I am picking some up this afternoon and will try the Candidae for Jasper to see how he does. Really want him on a high quality food and after you mentioned it, I looked it up and it sounds like a good one to try.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you considered giving bones like antlers, or chicken necks as a treat? I find real bones do a much better job of actually cleaning my dog's teeth.
Im afraid my dog will break a tooth. Shes a very hard chewer. She took a Himalayan dog chew dog to nothing within a couple mins

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Im afraid my dog will break a tooth. Shes a very hard chewer. She took a Himalayan dog chew dog to nothing within a couple mins

Raw chicken necks, backs, or wings, or turkey necks, should not cause her to break a tooth. Which one you feed depends on the size of the dog. Small ones you can feed the chicken ones to, and larger breeds get the turkey necks. The bones are soft enough that they will not crack the dogs teeth. What you do not want to feed is weight bearing bones from large animals like cows, those are very hard and can crack teeth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi!
I had a bad experience with 4Health last year so as a rule, I stay away from them. I use the plain Milk-bone dog biscuits for my dogs' teeth - they get one daily as a treat.
Teeth aren't always the problem with bad breath, tho. If they're burping or bloating, bad breath can be from over-eating and not digesting their food properly. Another factor can be the ingredients IN the food. I changed over to VeRus because my dogs were scratching so much. The scratching is pretty much non-existent now and they don't have doggy breath. VeRus has a page where you can fill out a form and they'll make suggestions for the appropriate food & send you food samples. Verus Pet Foods - Home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts