Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old puppy was spayed on Monday, and aside from trying to control her crazy energy spurts, all has been going well so far. However, I have a concern about the incision and whether or not it appears to be healing properly. It looks a little irritated to me, which I'm sure is normal considering the fact that she's been laying on her stomach which is inevitable.

She's wearing an inflatable collar, and someone is with her at all times so I know she is not licking/biting at it. She has jumped up on the couch before we could get to her 3 times over the course of the last few days when we were bringing her out to go outside. But other than that we've basically been confining her to one room with no furniture or anything that she can get up on. And again, someone is with her throughout the day.

I called the vet, and they weren't much help. Basically said it was up to me but that we should just continue to keep it dry and to continue making sure she isn't licking/biting it. I offered to send them a picture but they said I would have to bring her in if I wanted them to look at it. So I am going to give it another day, because compared to yesterday it does look like it might be getting better. But nevertheless, I am a paranoid puppy mom and just want to get another opinion between now and tomorrow.

The dried blood in the pictures is from when she had the surgery on Monday (no new blood since then). But she is stubborn and will not let us anywhere near it to get it cleaned up, and we are afraid we'd end up doing more harm with her wiggling and everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I ended up getting in touch with a vet tech that I know personally and sent her the pictures. She said it just looks like I have an active puppy, and it would be more red and hot to the touch if there was anything seriously wrong.

I just didn't want to stress my puppy out with another trip to the vet if there wasn't too much to be concerned about. I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets any worse, I'll bring her in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks pretty okay to me too. My puppy was spayed about a month ago as well. Hope the recovery goes well. It's a mission to keep them still isn't it :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Hope your pup is fully recovered now! Yes, it’s pretty much impossible to keep them still. She gets her stitches out next Friday, so I just keep telling myself I just have to get through the next week (easier said than done haha).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts