Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to this forum though I have been reading some of the threads on here for a few months (?) I am looking to add a third dog into my family, though I'm at a loss which breed. I'm probably going to ramble a bit in this post so bare with me! Originally I wanted a big dog (think Doberman, GSD, WSS, St. Bernard!) and yet here I am with a Shih Tzu and a Pug ? So for my third and final dog, I am open to big and small breeds! These are the ones I've narrowed it down to: Dalmatian, Samoyed, White Swiss Shepherd, German Shepherd, or a Staffy. Now, my hesitations for each:

Dal: I've contacted a wonderful and highly reputable breeder (one of the only breeders in my country) and she seems to think Dals are great dogs and only need 30-45 mins of exercise a day, which would suit me fine. But I've been googling and the verdict seems to be from most people that Dals are neurotic, too much energy (higher than a Collie, which I don't want!) and in general a breed to steer clear from. I've also heard they're runners/escape whenever they can.

GSD/WSS: the only hesitations for either of these two breeds is energy levels and mental stimulation. I'm blessed to have lots of wonderful dog friendly beaches, parks and walking trails nearby me and so I wouldn't have a problem getting out and about with them each day, but realistically anything longer than an hour and a half say and I'd be itching to get back home. As for mental stimulation, I do enjoy going to training classes and trick training in my spare time but as far as that goes once I'm home from a walk generally I'm ready to jump into bed, not spend another hour or so keeping his mind wired on top of it.

Samoyed: Beautiful big dogs though I've heard they're quite daft and hard to train. I'm looking for an intelligent dog (but not one who is constantly pushing his boundaries, more just who will enjoy learning tricks and attending dog training classes) and one who is eager to please, again I've heard Samoyed are quite stubborn.

Staffy: My family dog was a Staffy X and he was the most docile animal I've ever met! So beautiful. My only issue here is dog aggression within purebreds. I need a dog who will not fight with my other two or attack my cats, and I've done a lot of research and read that Staffies are best kept as the only dog in the house for this reason and without any cats.

I don't want another dog like my Shih tzu, god bless her but she is far too intelligent for her own good and not at all affectionate (her definition of cuddles is stretching on to your legs then leaving the room). She has her own plans for life and I'm just the one who feeds her and is able to open doors. I really prefer more affectionate/"shadow" dogs, like my Pug. I would love a dog who is undeniably loyal, enjoys cuddles but also a good walk, loves to please and learn alongside me, and would rather spend his time with me no matter what I'm doing. An obedient and easy to train dog who is smart but without too much mind of his own. In all honesty I'm not fussed about how friendly they are with strangers or strange dogs (aloof is fine, in fact I would PREFER the dog not to forget I exist the second they see another human- like my Shih Tzu, bless!), but they would need to be gold with my own pets and family, who visit often. Am I looking at the right breeds? I'm so open to suggestions (bar Labs and Poodles!) and would love to hear from you all, I'm not rushing into anything so have a lot of time to meet breeders and do my research.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
What about a golden?
Given your list I'm assuming you don't really mind shedding/lots of hair and high grooming requirements?
Since you said Samoyed, I was also thinking maybe American eskimo dog. Unfortuently ive never had nor met a Sammy so I cant speak to how trainable they are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How active are you? This is a big deal-breaker for more energetic dog breeds like a Dalmation or a GSD. Dalmations were bred to run next to carriages so they do indeed have a lot of energy and need more than say a lab or golden and thus need a lot of exercise . The dog's breeds you have are companion dogs so they require less exercise and eat less, how much more mental stimulation and exercise are you planning on giving your dog? If not much more then I would just stick with companion dogs. Maybe a Boston terrier would be right for you? They are small, energetic, smart, and don't need as much exercise but can hang if you decide to go somewhere with the dog-like camping. Working dogs require a lot of physical and mental stimulation and Spitz breeds tend to be very independent which sounds like the opposite of what you are looking for. A staffy could be good! Especially if you go through a rescue/shelter and find one that is both good with dogs and cats~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts