Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 months old golden retriever which still hasnt stopped biting and gets uncontrollable at times , is this normal if not what should I do ??

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Biting as in play biting, then it gets out of hand? Or is she/he being aggressive? What have you been doing when he/she does it?

I have an almost 13 week old who stills chews and bites and to me it is normal. All of my dogs would still do it at this age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think He is getting aggressive , Some times he just jumps on the sofa and starts biting my hands and growls and barks if I resist , sometimes after I remove something in his mouth eg paper he starts biting ..

·
Registered
40 Posts
In most cases if pups are left with the dam til 11 to 12 weeks of age before they are adopted/sold, they have already been taught bite inhibition. This is where a puppy during teething may get into rough play or too aggressive play with littermates of the dam and the dam will correct it. In this case you need to shove a chew toy into the dogs mouth in place of your hand. Continue this and it will eventually look to the toy to satisfy the urge.
My pups are sold at 12 weeks and do not engage in this behavior simply due to the fact that the dam has corrected it.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I think He is getting aggressive , Some times he just jumps on the sofa and starts biting my hands and growls and barks if I resist , sometimes after I remove something in his mouth eg paper he starts biting ..
This is all normal :) When he has something he shouldn't (paper, plastic, etc.) remove it and give him a proper chew toy in its place. He is biting because you are taking something away from him and he is left with nothing. As for biting your hands and growling, this too is playing. If the dog does this it is more than likely because he wants to play and feel lonely. I suggest getting a toy he loves and tossing it for him.

Puppies chew a lot, and expect more of it soon because he will begin teething. Another option is to buy a "chilly toy" these toys you soak with water and put in a baggie to put in the freezer so it comes out like an ice cube and slowly melts to where they can chew it. We got a few different ones at Petsmart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts