Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My dog is 5 years old, she’s a chihuahua. Around two/ three weeks ago I noticed her ear was very inflamed. I brought her to the vet the same week. She would not let me or the vet take a look, so this suggests it’s painful for her. Her ear skin has now become very dry, full of little scans, still inflamed, and there’s some dark discolouration.
She scratches it a lot so it must be itchy. I don’t know if this is because the scabs are healing or it is something worse. However because the could not have a look all she could do for me is send me home with anti infection ear drops. The name of them is Surolan. i researched it online and potentially it could be otitis externa, cause from an infection or allergies or mites. there’s no point in me bringing her to the vet again because she won’t let her look anyway, she won’t even let me look or touch it.
Do I continue to give her the Surolan. Is this good will it treat it? It very hard to give her them drops because whenever I go near her with it she almost bites me. So I don’t give it to her regularly unfortunately as I’m supposed to but I sneak some drops in when she’s asleep but that’s only if I get lucky. This is awfully difficult for me. I don’t want any further issues to continue to occur as I assume everyone here, I love my dog to bits. Any recommendations?
Here I’m attaching pictures of her ear I took. View attachment 249225 View attachment 249226 View attachment 249227 View attachment 249225

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Look your dog is a chi.. Ive taken a reluctant 60 kilo st bernard bouvier cross to the vet with an ear infection and it got sorted so its no excuse to say your dog wont let the vet look. In fact thats pitiful.

Your dog is obviously in pain just looking at those photos made me flinch.
In not using the drops regualrly you might as well not bother they only work when used as directed.
By leaving this infection to fester you dog may end up needing sedation to get her ears treated properly.

But it needs to be done. this is not a choice a vet is your only option.

After this make sure you check ears at least once a week and praise and treat while ou do it so that it becomes a happy experience.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured the vet will be an only option. Lately she’s in and out of the vet. She tore her crucial ligament and was in a lot of times for strengthening and anti inflammatory injections Once a week. She had an anal infection and got put on antibiotics. And now the ear, she really doesn’t like the vet and we like quite far from it but when I saw the infection yesterday myself I got really worried aswell hence I went on the forum for fellow dog lovers to advise me. I really tried using the drops on her regularly, and she genuinely won’t let me. She does the same thing with her nails, she doesn’t let anyone clip them. shes a calm, lovely dog but when it comes to nails and other touching other uncomfortable parts for her she gets real snappy. She has to get her nails done under sedation. thanks for the message, appreciate it :) the vet is getting called today.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look your dog is a chi.. Ive taken a reluctant 60 kilo st bernard bouvier cross to the vet with an ear infection and it got sorted so its no excuse to say your dog wont let the vet look. In fact thats pitiful.

Your dog is obviously in pain just looking at those photos made me flinch.
In not using the drop regualrly you might as well not bother they only work when used as directed.
By leaving this infection to fester you dog may end up needing sedation to get her ears treated properly.

But it needs to be done. this is not a choice a vet is your only option.

After this make sure you check ears at least once a week and praise and treat while ou do it so that it becomes a happy experience.
Yeah I figured the vet will be an only option. Lately she’s in and out of the vet. She tore her crucial ligament and was in a lot of times for strengthening and anti inflammatory injections Once a week. She had an anal infection and got put on antibiotics. And now the ear, she really doesn’t like the vet and we like quite far from it but when I saw the infection yesterday myself I got really worried aswell hence I went on the forum for fellow dog lovers to advise me. I really tried using the drops on her regularly, and she genuinely won’t let me. She does the same thing with her nails, she doesn’t let anyone clip them. shes a calm, lovely dog but when it comes to nails and other touching other uncomfortable parts for her she gets real snappy. She has to get her nails done under sedation. thanks for the message, appreciate it :) the vet is getting called today

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Another person who got straight advice as they asked for and didn't like it...

People if you want tea and sympathy go see your mother. If you ask for opinions or advice in an open forum be prepared for honest answers.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another person who got straight advice as they asked for and didn't like it...

People if you want tea and sympathy go see your mother. If you ask for opinions or advice in an open forum be prepared for honest answers.
Why are you so rude and looking on starting a fight?! In the reply I sent I literally thanked you for your advice and said I appreciated it and that I figured vet would be the only option, and that it’s stressful for her because she’s been in and out of vets for a torn crucial ligament. But then since I got an answer I didn’t want the post to be up anymore and deleted all the message. There is literally no need to be so hostile and cheeky. And if you’re looking for a verbal fight go to your mother.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Why are you so rude and looking on starting a fight?! In the reply I sent I literally thanked you for your advice and said I appreciated it and that I figured vet would be the only option, and that it’s stressful for her because she’s been in and out of vets for a torn crucial ligament. But then since I got an answer I didn’t want the post to be up anymore and deleted all the message. There is literally no need to be so hostile and cheeky. And if you’re looking for a verbal fight go to your mother.
Why delete all of your posts then?
You don't want it up there why not?
This is an open forum... Someone else might have other ideas..

I wasn't looking for a fight I was just pointing out the fact that you deleted all the posts so that no one could see what you were saying .
sadly this happens far too often when people don't get the home cure that they're looking for.

normally I would say good luck at the vets and let us know how you get on but obviously you don't want to so I'll just say I hope your dog gets the care she needs.

·
Super Moderator
6,589 Posts
When someone deletes their posts, it often is because they have received advice they don't like, often from multiple members.

Then, the people who took time to reply feel quite reasonably that their efforts have been dismissed.

This time, it looks like just a communication misunderstanding. I'm going to restore the deleted messages @Jujujuice to make it clearer.

·
Administrator
1,463 Posts
Yeah, it does look suspicious when a member deletes their posts.

However, having a Chi myself, I will say, in the OP's defence, that it's not as easy as it sounds. As someone on another forum likes to remind me, "if Chis were as big as Rottweilers, they'd be on the banned breed list."

And that's true to my experience. Holding Honey whenever the vet examines her, I'm only partially joking when I sat "Don't go for my jugular, Honey." :D So I can sympathise with the OP.

If Honey's any indication, they turn into bad tempered little land sharks when they're in pain or not well.

@Jujujuice , I haven't seen the pics, but have read your posts. If you can't manage to apply the drops yourself, and you can't get anyone to hold her still (another thing easier said than done) you will have to contact the vet and see if they can advise further.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yeah, it does look suspicious when a member deletes their posts.

However, having a Chi myself, I will say, in the OP's defence, that it's not as easy as it sounds. As someone on another forum likes to remind me, "if Chis were as big as Rottweilers, they'd be on the banned breed list."

And that's true to my experience. Holding Honey whenever the vet examines her, I'm only partially joking when I sat "Don't go for my jugular, Honey." :D So I can sympathise with the OP.

If Honey's any indication, they turn into bad tempered little land sharks when they're in pain or not well.

@Jujujuice , I haven't seen the pics, but have read your posts. If you can't manage to apply the drops yourself, and you can't get anyone to hold her still (another thing easier said than done) you will have to contact the vet and see if they can advise further.
I hope this isnt directed towards me cause ive deleted posts.

·
Administrator
1,463 Posts
I hope this isnt directed towards me cause ive deleted posts.
It was directed at the OP, but the same applies to anyone. Deleting posts (especially OPs) yourself just because you don't like the answers says a lot about you (general you not you personally), and none of it good. It distorts threads, and makes members late to the party wonder what's been said.

Such is the nature of forums. You get some answers you do like, some answers you don't. If you want advice, be prepared that the advice received may not be what you want to hear. Forums aren't echo chambers, and nor should they be.

Locking this now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.