Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were outside for 30 minutes today playing in the dog park with access to drinking water. Brought her home and 1 hr later still panting. She is almost 10 months. It was pretty warm.

·
Registered
837 Posts
How warm is"pretty warm"? What breed? Mostly asked since a Spitz type bred for sub-zero temperatures (like huskies, eskies) is going to feel it differently than say, a Pharoah hound. How warm is the house?

Placing a fan on the floor, maybe moving her to a tile.floor, and wetting her paws and back might help. But if you see signs for heat stroke (links below), vet.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If I recall, Goldendoodles are double coated?
I have 2 double coated dogs (one is a Golden Retriever) and do a MUCH less intense version of this which really keeps them comfortable when it gets hot (we get into the low 100's (F)) here in the High Sierra, and we have less shielding since at 5000 ft the atmosphere is considerably thinner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Suggest you take a look at the Tufts Animal Care and Condition (TACC) Scales which takes into account various factors specific to the dog such as those listed below. For each factor, an adjustment from -1 to +2 is applicable. Advice comes from veterinarians but is also published by pet Insurance companies and used by Animal Welfare groups and Agencies to determine whether a dog should be seized.

Warm / Hot Weather
Water Available ?
Shade / Protected From Sun ?
Is Dog Brachycephalic ? *
Is Dog Obese ?

Cool / Cold Weather
Is Dog a Toy Dog ?
Is Dog in Rain / Sleet ?
Is Dog Northern / Heavy-Coated Breed ?
Does Dog Have Good Shelter / Bedding ?
Has Dog Acclimated to Cold Temperatures ?

Dog Age
Is Dog a< 6 months of Age ?
Is Dog a Elderly

* Looks like was hit in face w/ Bag of Nickels

The ratings go from:

or = to 5 means potentially life-threatening risk present. Immediate intervention to decrease threat to the animal
< or = 1 means no evidence of risk

You could download a sample copy here:

If you want to customize it for your dog(s) send a DM and can send you a editable version

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
We only go out for a walk in the morning and evening on really hot days (30°C+). When we get back, I put the fan on high and wet my dog a bit on his sides and belly. He stands in the fan for a bit to cool off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts