Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old mutt (mostly shepherd/heeler mix). Up until a few months ago he had really nice, white teeth. But a few months ago his canines started to get discolored (though I continued to brush them regularly) and there appears to be something wrong with the enamel, like it's deteriorating or breaking down. What I could find from google sounded like enamel hypoplasia or hypocalcification but I didn't see any images that looked very similar to what I'm seeing with my dog.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
From this image that looks like tartar build up to me. Your dog needs a dental, or some nice raw bones to chew :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
can't tell from photo if caudal surface of k-9 tooth has tartar on it, or has enamel worn off it... if the latter, most likely from chewing on fencing as that is the most common cause of that sort of enamel wear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's just the beginnings of plaque buildup. It's a precursor to tartar, which is very difficult to remove, so best to get on top of it before it gets any worse. A good brushing with baking soda/peroxide and a nice rawhide should take care of it :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts