Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. it's me.. yet again. If you've been reading any of my posts, you know Tank got neutered over 2.5 weeks ago and it's been a small saga (not horrible, but will be 3 weeks this Wednesday). We tend to leave the cone off him for a bit if we can both keep an eye on him so he/we can have some relief from that. Clearly we messed up at some point and one week ago today he got at his incision area and made it bleed a bit. Called the vet, took some pictures and sent them in and they wanted to take a look at him. Brought him in and because of COVID, I didn't get to go in with him and talk to the vet. The vet tech brought him back out saying that the vet looked at him and he didn't open anything back up (they really didn't think he would've since he was 12 days post op) but it seems like he bit some scabs off which was causing the bleeding/redness. They put him on some antibiotics for 10 days and told me to have him wear the cone at least for another week. Since last Friday and because he's over 2 weeks post op, we've been taking him outside and playing to get his exercise back on track since he should be internally healed at this point and I've also read that exercise is good for healing so I assumed it wouldn't hurt. And my goodness is he happy being able to do that again!
I've personally noticed that if he "stretches" the area (if that's what I want to call it) in some way - kicking his legs from belly rubs, scratching his ear/face/elbow/armpit, then he seems to want to pay attention to the area. Otherwise he leaves it alone - he doesn't stop play because of it, he seems to sleep fine. There have unfortunately been a few times where he will lurk off to a corner or area where we can't see and by the time we find him, he's licking his incision (less than 15 seconds alone but long enough). First time he made himself bleed a bit again so we got stricter with the cone for a few days. When I went to check it the morning after this first time, he showed teeth at me so it must have been hurting/annoying him. Second time he licked he didn't make it any worse thankfully (may have caught him sooner or it's more healed?). I was able to check down there at lunch today and it didn't seem to bother him - he just went to sniff it and I told him "no" so hopefully the painful part is over? He's still on antibiotics until Wednesday and for the last few days I've been spraying Vetericyn (we have some for our chickens/turkeys) on the wound 3 times a day since the first incident and it seems to be helping. 75% of his neuter incision looks great - normal skin color, seems to be flattening out (it was pretty bumpy when he came home and I assumed that was the internal sutures and now that they're dissolving/dissolved, it's looking better). About 25% (I'm talking like less than 1/2" here) still seems raised and that's the area he seems to be licking. It's pink, not red, so I believe it's healing but I can't trust he won't leave it alone if we're not around.
What could be causing him to want to be interested in the area after 3 weeks? It's the end of the incision near his sack - could there still be a suture/tie in there that's bothering him? I really hate to be this person but I'm dealing with my own health decisions that are stressing me out and I'm getting to the point where after the antibiotics are up, I want to say "what happens, happens". I obviously know that's wrong but I also don't get much support from my boyfriend as that is his mentality. We had a turkey that got a chunk of breast bitten out of it by some animal overnight - we put the Vetericyn on it 2x a day and it healed fine. The turkey was out in the chicken/turkey poop ridden dirt dust bathing around and it healed fine with this spray, so he thinks the dog will be fine too. He wants to "test" the dog and let him be alone for a few hours and see what he does. It just doesn't feel right to me but how do we know otherwise?
I want to be able to take the cone off him once the antibiotics are done but I have a horrible feeling that he'll just go after it and we'll be back at the vets again with more coneage and more antibiotics. Has anyone experienced a dog licking an incision up to 3 weeks after? Will he be fine if I just let it go (I feel horrible asking this but I really don't know) or should I call the vet preemptively to get their opinion? I can post a picture when I get home from work if it helps. I feel like I'm not thinking straight and I'd appreciate any opinions or experiences.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You might have to put the cone back on but always check with the vet first. After all this time, he should be well healed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might have to put the cone back on but always check with the vet first. After all this time, he should be well healed.
I believe internally he is well healed, as he at least didn't hurt anything the first time we had to take him back which was even 7 days prior to now. So you'd think it's even more healed at this point. We've also been playing outside with him like normal the past 4 days or so and he hasn't hurt himself at this point. I just don't want him to keep opening up an external scab/wound and constantly needing antibiotics over and over again. I'm going to contact the vet regardless and see if they'd be willing to look at some pictures at the very least. But I think it's just going to be more cone time until that little part of it can heal to the point where he can't EASILY hurt it more. There will probably always be the possibility but the more I can minimize it, the better.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Is there still a scab or a spot? After 2 weeks IMO, it should be healed..perhaps a bit of pink colored new skin, but not raw.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just a spot/bump at this point. The incision was really bumpy when we brought him home - I read that it looks that way due to the internal stitches and as they've seemingly dissolved, the area is getting smoother except for that one last bump. There still might be a few incredibly tiny "scabs" around the area - they look like black dots, almost maybe from the razer burn or something that I can pick off. But the main area of concern, which again is still fairly small (20-25% of the end of the incision near his scrotum) is pink and not raw anymore - it was when he licked it. I looked at it this morning and I think I might see a stitch sticking out so my assumption is that maybe all of the internal stitches haven't quite dissolved yet. I know when I had my gallbladder surgery, the end knot of one of the incisions didn't quite dissolve as fast as the rest of them and my body pushed it to the surface after a few weeks and I was able to pull it out. I did a lot of relaxing last night thinking about this (and my own health) and I just need to be patient. It might be aggravating for all to have to keep coning him when we're not around him, but it's for his best interest and health. It does really look a bit better every day and he let me touch around it this morning which he wouldn't before so I'm hoping it's bothering him less and less as well.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's just a spot/bump at this point. The incision was really bumpy when we brought him home - I read that it looks that way due to the internal stitches and as they've seemingly dissolved, the area is getting smoother except for that one last bump. There still might be a few incredibly tiny "scabs" around the area - they look like black dots, almost maybe from the razer burn or something that I can pick off. But the main area of concern, which again is still fairly small (20-25% of the end of the incision near his scrotum) is pink and not raw anymore - it was when he licked it. I looked at it this morning and I think I might see a stitch sticking out so my assumption is that maybe all of the internal stitches haven't quite dissolved yet. I know when I had my gallbladder surgery, the end knot of one of the incisions didn't quite dissolve as fast as the rest of them and my body pushed it to the surface after a few weeks and I was able to pull it out. I did a lot of relaxing last night thinking about this (and my own health) and I just need to be patient. It might be aggravating for all to have to keep coning him when we're not around him, but it's for his best interest and health. It does really look a bit better every day and he let me touch around it this morning which he wouldn't before so I'm hoping it's bothering him less and less as well.
Once all is good..Tank will quickly forget about the cone. However, if you ever need it again..then no doubt he will remember.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes.. we just need to get to the "all is good" point! :rolleyes:
It has been almost a year since my Golden was spayed. When she sees the closet door open where her cones is stored.....she barks at me....LOL
This was the day that her cone came off...She was not at all happy with me! :rolleyes:
Dog Liver Carnivore Whiskers Working animal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sent pictures to the vet.. one more week of antibiotics and limited activity.. we started his activity back up about 4 or 5 days ago thinking it was internally healed and exercise would help but it probably hurt him more.. sigh.. I clearly dont know what I'm doing with my poor dog

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sent pictures to the vet.. one more week of antibiotics and limited activity.. we started his activity back up about 4 or 5 days ago thinking it was internally healed and exercise would help but it probably hurt him more.. sigh.. I clearly dont know what I'm doing with my poor dog
It sounds like you are doing everything possible to make him happy and get him healed up. My male Mini Aussie was allowed to play 100% a couple of days after his stitches were removed. My vet doesn't use the dissolving kind, probably to make sure that owners return for an exam.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking on my way to the vets to pick up his prescription that the part that's "aggravated" is the end which meets the scrotum.. I probably did more harm by letting him be active and letting his 6.5yr old man pancake flap around.. oh well.. one more week of laying on the futon mattress on the floor constantly appeasing him wont kill anybody!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Only thing that appeases him are what we call "hybrids" where we jam a toy into another toy!! He wont play with anything else unless it involves one of his precious JW balls and if we dont "hybrid", he just wants to play fetch!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I was thinking on my way to the vets to pick up his prescription that the part that's "aggravated" is the end which meets the scrotum.. I probably did more harm by letting him be active and letting his 6.5yr old man pancake flap around.. oh well.. one more week of laying on the futon mattress on the floor constantly appeasing him wont kill anybody!!
He's a lucky dog to have such a caring human!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts