Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ,So I m a first time owner, I got a samoyed ,I fell in love with the race ,they seemd so nice and gentle ,and my dog ,sami,was also gentle and nice for 2 weeks ,I got him when he was 8 weeks old and he was nice until he was 10 weeks old ,now he s 12 weeks old ,and for 2 weeks he s been driving me insane,he only allows me to touch him if I give him my hand to nimble on and then he tries to chew my fingers and my hand ,then he bites my forearm with his entire mouth and tries to shake his head (you know like dogs do with little toys) he s also humping my legs constantly and he doesnt let go when biting I even had to get stitcheson my heel ,I kinda want to give him away because I cant stand him anymore ,but I cant ,because even though he s so agressive ,I grew fond of him ,I m desperate ,I read a few books but nothing works ,please help me ,I dont know what to do

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Okay, well a big part of the problem is that you said you let him chew and nibble on you. So, you've taught him that it's ok to chew on you, and now he's gotten really aggressive with it. But of course it's not ok to chew on you! You said you've read books but you haven't said if you've tried anything to stop him biting of humping. Your puppy needs training and I recommend going to a puppy class with him.

Right now I would suggest getting him a crate--get one that will fit him when he's grown up. If he bites you or humps say a firm "NO!" and then put him in the crate for 3-5 minutes. Let him out again and then try to bond with him. Have you taken him on walks? Played fetch? Since he reacts so badly when you touch him try teaching him touch is a nice thing. Have a treat in one hand, give one to him, and while you're giving it to him stroke him gentle. Do that over and over. If he goes to bite or hump you leave the room or give him a time out in the crate.

If you can't dedicate a good deal of time to train him and/or pay for training this may not be the dog for you. Sami is just a baby, and most dogs (like people) and not automatically "nice and gentle", they have to be taught to do so. So it's like you brought home a sweet new baby, that's now a tantruming, hitting, biting toddler and you're not sure what to do. Get some help and also say what you have done and I think things can be ok.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok ,So I m a first time owner, I got a samoyed ,I fell in love with the race ,they seemd so nice and gentle ,and my dog ,sami,was also gentle and nice for 2 weeks ,I got him when he was 8 weeks old and he was nice until he was 10 weeks old ,now he s 12 weeks old ,and for 2 weeks he s been driving me insane,he only allows me to touch him if I give him my hand to nimble on and then he tries to chew my fingers and my hand ,then he bites my forearm with his entire mouth and tries to shake his head (you know like dogs do with little toys)
This is a big no no, trading your flesh as a reward for desired behavior is teaching your dog an amazingly dangerous lesson. As other's have said this needs to stop immediately. If your reading hasn't been able to give you ideas about how to handle this, perhaps soliciting the help of a professional trainer is your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Which books and videos have you studied so far? There is a wide variety of materials available, some better than others. Maybe we can help you find more useful resources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, well a big part of the problem is that you said you let him chew and nibble on you. So, you've taught him that it's ok to chew on you, and now he's gotten really aggressive with it. But of course it's not ok to chew on you! You said you've read books but you haven't said if you've tried anything to stop him biting of humping. Your puppy needs training and I recommend going to a puppy class with him.

Right now I would suggest getting him a crate--get one that will fit him when he's grown up. If he bites you or humps say a firm "NO!" and then put him in the crate for 3-5 minutes. Let him out again and then try to bond with him. Have you taken him on walks? Played fetch? Since he reacts so badly when you touch him try teaching him touch is a nice thing. Have a treat in one hand, give one to him, and while you're giving it to him stroke him gentle. Do that over and over. If he goes to bite or hump you leave the room or give him a time out in the crate.

If you can't dedicate a good deal of time to train him and/or pay for training this may not be the dog for you. Sami is just a baby, and most dogs (like people) and not automatically "nice and gentle", they have to be taught to do so. So it's like you brought home a sweet new baby, that's now a tantruming, hitting, biting toddler and you're not sure what to do. Get some help and also say what you have done and I think things can be ok.
I spend most of my time with him ,I m 18 and I dont have a job ,I try to take him for walks everyday ,but he s always pulling the leash and tries to go back home .I searched for dog trainers but I live in eastern europe so they re hard to come by ,I ll get him a crate as fast as I can and tried what you suggested ,thank you very much I hope itll work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which books and videos have you studied so far? There is a wide variety of materials available, some better than others. Maybe we can help you find more useful resources.
cesar millans books ,mostly and a large variety of videos. I m positive not a single thing from those books worked ,I know its not the dogs fault ,it s 100% mine

·
Registered
22 Posts
The way my mom got my dog Daisy not to chew on her (teething stage), was making noises like it hurt. "Ooo!owoo!ow!" Daisy stopped biting at her then. She didn't want to hurt her mommy.
That may work if your dog accepts you as his pack member, but by if he doesn't.
Best of luck,
Lily

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay, well a big part of the problem is that you said you let him chew and nibble on you. So, you've taught him that it's ok to chew on you, and now he's gotten really aggressive with it. But of course it's not ok to chew on you!
This^. Though the behavior should've been corrected before the dog started truly biting- back when he was nibbling- it's too late for that now. But things can still be done.
I agree with the crate, as long as you don't intend to take him places in one when he's not in trouble. If you are going to make the crate a punishment, keep it one. Take him to the vet and such on a leash so he doesn't feel like he is in trouble.
However, we couldn't use a crate for much of anything with Daisy- she was very scared of the crate, maybe because she is a rescue dog and had to live in one for a while.
Nevertheless, This is a behavioral issue you will want to correct soon before it can escalate.
Best of Luck again,
Lily
PS Sorry for the double post.
PSS OP- It's good that you understand it's not the dog's fault. But don't go blaming yourself- you didn't know, and you did try- you've been reading and studying, you said. So it's not really your fault either. Like I said before, it's not too late to fix this. The dog is still young and at an age where it will probably learn quickly. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
cesar millans books ,mostly and a large variety of videos. I m positive not a single thing from those books worked ,I know its not the dogs fault ,it s 100% mine
You're not going to find many fans of Cesar Milan on this site. He's much more of an entertaining TV personality than he is a dog trainer.

Some much better puppy books are:

Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right, Sophia Yin, Lili Chin - Amazon.com

Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog: Dr. Ian Dunbar: 9781577314554: Amazon.com: Books

A terrific on-line trainer is kikopup. She's got dozens of youtube videos. This one will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU&list=PLsTGSaiFI2cdnRuJrSox2F1yZaPMpK8nt

Have you gotten your puppy involved in any puppy classes yet? I think you would find that very helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're not going to find many fans of Cesar Milan on this site. He's much more of an entertaining TV personality than he is a dog trainer.

Some much better puppy books are:

Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right, Sophia Yin, Lili Chin - Amazon.com

Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog: Dr. Ian Dunbar: 9781577314554: Amazon.com: Books

A terrific on-line trainer is kikopup. She's got dozens of youtube videos. This one will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU&list=PLsTGSaiFI2cdnRuJrSox2F1yZaPMpK8nt

Have you gotten your puppy involved in any puppy classes yet? I think you would find that very helpful.
Thank you ,and everyone else here for the help and encouragement ,I will try everything you linked here ,Should had asked here earlier ,made me feel better .And I heard about how Caesar Millan is too agressive towards dogs, anyway look at this little guy ,he surely doesnt look like a chew-machine :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Please read these books! You can read the one from Dr. Ian Dunbar for free online.

Free downloads | Dog Star Daily has both Before and After Getting Your Puppy for free. Please read them; they're excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts