Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
My JRT pup has rash. I can't find the reason and i am very concerned. Two vets examined him and they said, it has to be an allergy, but still i am a bit worried.
After a walk, Pippin's belly is a bit reddish in color. And some pimples and little red spots appear. 2 -3 hours after he is home, the belly color is back to normal, but pimples are still there. The reddish belly happens after each walk, but sometimes there are no new pimples.
This is my first pup with short coat. So I am not aware of their skin problems. The rash/pimples are not itchy. He is not scratching or licking them.
His doctor said we should feed him Virbac for dogs with skin problems. So we started. He is living in our home and has his own "doggy" room. I mean he lives inside /not outside/. I don't use any cleaning chemicals in our home. My child has asma and i keep my home free of them.
Now I feed him with Virbac, but before he was on Orijen Puppy and homemade food /I cook for him/.
I will attach 3 pics of his belly.
I do not know if the rash looks bad, because its my first. My other dogs never had such problems.
Thank you so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Since it only occurs after walks, it probably doesn't have to do with food. I would assume it to be either a grass allergy or a reaction to insect bites. Do you know if your area has a lot of biting midges(also known as no see ums) or mosquitos?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I have a second vote for bug bites or just a reaction to the plants he's walking through.

Orijen is a REALLY good food, and cooking for him is also REALLY good! I have never heard of Virbac, but I would be surprised if it is as good a food. Is it one of those prescription diets you get at the vet? If it has "fractionated grains" in it, I would be hesitant to put a growing pup on it if this is not really a food related thing. Fractionated grains are things like "soy protein concentrate" "corn gluten meal" etc.

My only other comment is to share my observations that puppies have sensitive skin, and as they get older, their skin usually toughens up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank so much for your comments.
I live near the sea. So this means a lot of flying and biting bugs.
I use frontline combo to protect him, but still i see fleas on him. They don't stay for long /no need to clear him at home, i check every time/, but still they can bite him.
On the other hand near my home there is a lot of high grass, sometimes nettle and a lot of awns. So they can irritate his skin too.
I can not belive that a pup can be allergic to homemade chiken and brown rice.
I hope he will be better. I refused all pills until it is really necessary. I will keep you informed.
Tess, Virbac is prescribed by vet. I do not trust that Virbac is as good as Orijen, but he think it will help. My poor boy looks at his bowl and he is so disappointed:(

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Thank so much for your comments.
I live near the sea. So this means a lot of flying and biting bugs.
I use frontline combo to protect him, but still i see fleas on him. They don't stay for long /no need to clear him at home, i check every time/, but still they can bite him.
On the other hand near my home there is a lot of high grass, sometimes nettle and a lot of awns. So they can irritate his skin too.
I can not belive that a pup can be allergic to homemade chiken and brown rice.
I hope he will be better. I refused all pills until it is really necessary. I will keep you informed.
Tess, Virbac is prescribed by vet. I do not trust that Virbac is as good as Orijen, but he think it will help. My poor boy looks at his bowl and he is so disappointed:(
Well, if I were you, I'd trust my own instincts about all this. Nettles and high grass certainly can irritate tender young puppy skin (or our skin too!) The vet is trying to help as best he can because he has a concerned client. I agree with you, chicken and brown rice can't be bad! And puppy is telling you clearly how he feels about the Virbac. ;) I suspect if you go back to your regular feeding routine, and just give the pup some time to grow up, you'll find most of the irritation problem will be gone. The other test is to see how he does in fall and winter with less plants around. Really, overall I would not worry too much about that mild rash, especially as you say it goes away within hours!

I make food for one of my dogs too. My other one eats raw, as he prefers it that way. "Real" food cannot be bad for dogs. I like to know what's in my dog's food and not depend on some huge industrial process, where ingredients are bought on a global market at the cheapest prices, and prone to contamination. I would also add that the better foods now adays, such as Orijen, are far superior to the traditional, and even most of the prescription foods. Just my 2 cents! ;)

PS. At 3 months, the puppy is very young to have a food allergy. Has the change in diet made any difference at all to his reaction to his walks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No change for now. I should take him to the vet on 06/07. Until then - just observing. But no change for me. I see the same redness and rash after walk. I hope it will clear.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Do you wash off his belly when you bring him in from walks?

I doubt it's the food as well and haven't heard of Virbac food either (only Virbac shampoos etc)... that being said, I would choose a food and stick with it for now (whether it be the Virbac or the Orijen... just don't keep changing it up!).

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just another thought. Are you sure it showed up after the walk? My pit mix used to eget rashes and pimples all the time from scooting around on the floor, rug burn like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I notice redness and pimples after walk. The rash showed for the first time after he started to go outside. We don't have rugs or carpets.
I went to another vet yesterday. He said this is common baby rash and it will go away. He also said we do not need diet. But i started him on Virbac. Now Pippin will eat Virbac and homemade food. I regret I changed food from Orijen to Virbac. :(
It is hard to find Orijen in Bulgaria, but It worth it all.
I will keep watching the problem and i hope everything will be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: We walk and play on different place. The rash is going away. No new pimples and the old ones are dry now. His skin is not changing its color. I so glad my boy is getting better. Thank you all for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts