Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently gotten a Shih Tzu puppy (his old owner had him for 3 weeks and gave him to us for free which might be a red flag?). We have had him for 2 and a half weeks. He’s a great puppy, playful and so sweet.

We started house training him right away by giving him treats and high praise as soon as he went outside. For a week and half, he was doing really great. He had accidents but that was only when we were not supervising him well enough. Then, out of nowhere, he started peeing in his crate (we are also crate training him). The crate isn’t too big (we read to get a smaller crate), he’s on a schedule (food & water 3x a day), I take him out every two-three hours, and he’s still peeing on himself at 3 months. It’s gotten to the point where we took him out and an hour later he was laying next to me on the couch and peed on himself and lay in the puddle of pee (which I only discovered when I went to pick him up). We don’t get up during the night (he holds it for 7 hours bc we have gotten a black light and checked). We’re extremely frustrated bc we understand that crate training only works if he doesn’t soil himself. He doesn’t pee himself all the time, only sometimes. I literally cannot take him out every 40 mins. It’s too much and he’s too old (should be able to hold it for at least 2 hours!!)

Can anyone please offer me any advice? Does anyone have Shih Tzus?

I know Shih Tzus are clean animals so I just don’t understand why he’s peeing on himself during the day when I take him out so often.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
First thing is to get a sample to a vet and have it tested - he might have a UTI.

But - it may just be the way that you have written it - a crate is not a solution for toilet training, only a tool to help. A dog will prefer not to soil in his crate but if he cannot hold, he will have no choice but to toilet where he is (and nowhere to get away from it so he will have to lie in it too). It is different overnight - because his system operates differently when he is sleeping; you can't assume he can hold for 7 hours because he does that overnight.

So if a UTI is ruled out, the next advice is to go back to basics and that does mean taking him out frequently I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing is to get a sample to a vet and have it tested - he might have a UTI.

But - it may just be the way that you have written it - a crate is not a solution for toilet training, only a tool to help. A dog will prefer not to soil in his crate but if he cannot hold, he will have no choice but to toilet where he is (and nowhere to get away from it so he will have to lie in it too). It is different overnight - because his system operates differently when he is sleeping; you can't assume he can hold for 7 hours because he does that overnight.

So if a UTI is ruled out, the next advice is to go back to basics and that does mean taking him out frequently I'm afraid.
Thank you for the advice Joanne. Yes we were thinking it might be some kind of issue but figured maybe we were doing something wrong. Is there anything about Shih Tzus that makes them more prone to certain conditions? (UTIs)

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
As far as I know, only having shorter legs than some dogs (his little boy bits are closer to the ground and therefore maybe more likely to come into contact with things that can trigger infections).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts