Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Ive had my puppy for almost 4 weeks. She is a Joy but Im having BIG issues with her. She pottys and poops wherever she wants. Even after a longish walk she will come in and just go wherever. Im tired and helpless. I have bells on the front door and ring them but doesnt matter. She is also biting alot and my forearms are pretty beat up. She has lots of toys to chew too. I work at home 3 days a week. Next week I start having someone come over 1x
aday to walk her. I am crating her for naps and usually bedtime. She has cuddled in my ned a few times.and was ok. Also when Im working at home and Im on a business call
She just barks and barks. PLEASE HELP ME
Thank you,
MELISSA

·
Registered
993 Posts
What you are experiencing is very normal for a puppy, and 4 weeks is not a lot of time at all. Have you tried equating going potty outside with a reward like a high value treat? Puppies must learn human "rules", especially with the biting. Puppies explore with their mouths and noses, and they play rough with their siblings.
I have owned many dogs over the years, but none as tough as my Golden Puppy. It took ages of my yelling OW before she got the idea that biting humans was not acceptable. That coupled with the simultaneous "end of playtime": finally did the trick after many months of trying. The situation was further complicated by my other 2 dogs since they all played very rough and tumble.

She finally became a sweetie after she turned one yr old, and is super gentle with me. Another issue as she grew was her counter surfing and that also finally stopped (mostly.... :LOL: )

Stick around since there will be more answers and links from our members and mods across the pond and HANG IN THERE!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Since you are working from home you have the opportunity to house train this puppy the right way.
This means, you take the puppy outside about once an hour. If she doesn't go potty, bring her in but watch her closely, don't take your eyes off her, and if she looks as if she might squat, take her out fast. ANY time, EVERY time that she potties outside on a walk or when you have taken her out, praise her lavishly and give her a nice little treat.

Never, ever scold, punish, or even look cross if she potties in the house. She is only a baby. You wouldn't punish or scold a baby human being for going in their diaper. This is the same. Baby dogs cannot hold it in for very long and also have to be carefully and meticulously trained where it is OK to go. Say nothing if she pees in the house and clean up the area thoroughly with a proper cleanser designed to remove dog do odors. Bells on the door don't help at this point.....obviously she has not been trained to use them! Puppies need a lot of attention and training, and this is your job.

Having someone come over once a day if you are gone all day is not enough. Puppies cannot hold it that long. Again, she is a baby. If someone only lets her out once a day she will have no choice but to pee and poop in the house! And that will not be her fault, but yours for not giving her the chance to do it right. And every time she does that, it reinforces to her that this is OK. You don't want that.

If she is barking she needs your attention. Give it to her. Again, she is a baby.

If she is biting, this is normal because that is how puppies play with each other. It is not aggression. You need to gently train her that human beings are not dogs and she cannot put her mouth on you. Redirect her attention to a toy, play tug with her, whatever. If she is persistent and won't be redirected, then walk out of the room into another, and shut the door. If you do this every single time she bites, she will learn that biting means she doesn't even get to be with you at all and all the fun stops. She will learn not to do that.

Above all, your training must me 100% consistent. You have to do the training every single time without fail or you will not have success. It's a lot of work! But if you dedicate yourself to training her the right way now you will have a delightful companion for many years. Neglect to do it now and you will have endless problems.

Always, always be kind. Never yell, never scold, don't get upset or blame her. Just show her what to do and praise her when she does it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is she on a schedule? This can help you time the poop at least a bit better. Puppies usually pee about 20 minutes after drinking and after a few minutes of rigorous play.

You mention you ring the bells...have you worked on cuing her to touch the bells to open the door? If not, and would like help, feel free to ask. While that helps, it'll still take time.

Puppies usually think people are more fun than toys by themselves. So, as mentioned, either redirest and praise when she grabs it, or remove yourself from the equation. Just a note, some puppies find "ow" as exciting.

Do you have an x-pen? If not, I urge you to get one or block her off to one puppy-proofed room. This can give you a break.

Is she barking all the time, or just for calls? Teaching "quit" or desensitixing her to noises will help in the long run. Either way, if all her needs are met, you can give her a frozen Kong stuffed with food, yogurt, peanut butter, etc. while on the phone. The idea is she is too busy getting all that goodness to worry about the call.

If you have any questions, please ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts