Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Very sweet, very affectionate 3 month old male pit/mix was rescued at 12wks from a terrible living situation. He was born in and never once left until the day I rescued him in a laundry room of a business. He and 8 other siblings were kept in this room day in and out, until slowly one by one of the siblings were taken. He and one other male were left alone no water or food sleeping in a large subwoofer box. Their mom would be shut in with them periodically but wanted nothing to do with the boys any longer. So the day I took him was the day his brother had chewed a hole large enough for him to escape got out and I just happened to be at said business and heard sad loud whining and decided to investigate. I looked around, and investigated further into his story and promptly took him home STAT!

We bonded for a solid week. This is where I believe I may have enabled this behavior he xzibits. I know that he knows literally nothing different than to be with a warm body. It's his comfort, and I am not a first time puppy owner. So I crate trained him and he loves his crate! He is exercised at least two times a day morning and nightly hour or longer walks. Heavy play time when I am home with him. He loves all his chew toys and toys in general. He will play alone and is very happy to play alone. So long as I am in view, he is socialized with other animals plays well cats, puppies and adult dogs. He isn't just addicted to me, for when he is with anyone else watching him he acts pretty much the exact same. Follows you absolutely every where you go, does not like to be alone at all unless he's in his crate. If he knows your there he is screaming or if the poor guy is dead asleep next to me or anyone and you get up and leave his sight he must be right there. I love that he follows so we'll I love that he loves! I'm more worried that I'm doing him an injustice by letting him continue to be a "velcro" pup. I feel like it's not that he is doing this so that he is with me bc he loves me I feel like it stems from his isolation as a new born with his siblings left alone. He can not take a nap or be out of my sight bc he is worried about being left completely alone. I need some advice. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Have a look at the advice here -

You could also play the flitting game, described about ⅔ of the way down this page -

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
One thing that has at least seemly worked for us, is, although she certainly know when we are getting ready to leave, we always give her a treat when we leave. That at least gives her something to look forward to during the process. If we are gone to long, she will get very vocal when we do come home. I have a camera, so I can watch her when we are gone, she mostly sleeps, occasionally will wander around the house, sometimes bark at passersby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, this happens. I invested in a pet camera to sort of control things a little bit when It came to spending time away from the house. I think Laco nailed it on the head because positive association is likely the way to go. If there's a benefit for your dog (i.e. dog treats) they are more likely to calm down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts