Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 deadly mistakes we all make that frustrate our dog training efforts & how to avoid

Dog training is not as easy as some people make it sound. How easy it is to train your dog depends greatly on your dog specifically... what breed, their background, and even their disposition. There are, however, some things that you may be doing which are completely sabotaging your dog training.
When you start training your dog, you should begin by laying down a few ground rules..I.E MAKING SURE THAT THE DOGS HOUSING FACILITIES ARE IN PLACE AND WELL DONE
1.First, shouting during training is an easy, yet counterproductive thing to do.
2. Second, taking any longer than 15 minutes to train your dog during one session is something not many amateurs know about. You dog has a shorter attention span than you do, and if you try to stretch out the training session for longer than 15 minutes, the dog will just become frustrated and so will you.
3.Lastly, forgetting to praise and treat your dog every single time they follow a command or acts the way you want them to act. It's easy to forget to give them a treat every time, never fail, but if your dog is expecting a treat and you forget, your dog will lose confidence that they did the correct action and may be set back quite a bit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good luck trying to train a boxer for more than 10 mins, mine loses concentration after only 5 mins :O

But yeah, pretty important things, I just want to add CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, I can't stress this enough, you can't expect your dog to not jump on people if you allow him to jump on you, you can't one day allow him on the furniture and expect him to know it's not ok when there are visitors...
Best way to insure your dog is gonna be well behaved and obedient is to read up on the breed and several training books (breed specific if possible), and consulting a professional trainer if possible.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Dog training is not as easy as some people make it sound. How easy it is to train your dog depends greatly on your dog specifically... what breed, their background, and even their disposition. There are, however, some things that you may be doing which are completely sabotaging your dog training.
When you start training your dog, you should begin by laying down a few ground rules..I.E MAKING SURE THAT THE DOGS HOUSING FACILITIES ARE IN PLACE AND WELL DONE
1.First, shouting during training is an easy, yet counterproductive thing to do.
2. Second, taking any longer than 15 minutes to train your dog during one session is something not many amateurs know about. You dog has a shorter attention span than you do, and if you try to stretch out the training session for longer than 15 minutes, the dog will just become frustrated and so will you.
3.Lastly, forgetting to praise and treat your dog every single time they follow a command or acts the way you want them to act. It's easy to forget to give them a treat every time, never fail, but if your dog is expecting a treat and you forget, your dog will lose confidence that they did the correct action and may be set back quite a bit.

This is not entirely true.

This is true ONLY during the learning phase of teaching a behavior.

Part of real training is putting the dog on a schedual of variable reinforcement in order to keep the behavior. This is also how you create behavior chains.

NOT reinforcing everytime (after the dog has learned the behavior 100%) is a method of proofing the behavior and assuring the dog will perform it whenever yougive them the cue.

But yeah, other than that...good post!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe that the two most important words when it comes to dog training are time and patience. Getting upset or angry only hurts your pet's progress, as does being inconsistent. I made the mistake of not rewarding my dog long enough for following me up the stairs to my apartment, which was a real job since he love's being outside. I discovered that I still need to reward him every few times or so, but not every time. It's the only command he's been slow at learning, but he's got it down now.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
um....deadly? I dont think anything you listed is deadly LOL you may want to consider using a different word next time :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts