Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My wife and I have two American Cocker Spaniels. Rori is almost 13 and Soly is 28 months. We had another that lived to age 14 before dying of kidney failure. We added Soly to the family on the day after Christmas in 2014, in part to bring new life to Rori, which worked like a dream and to avoid being without a wagging tail once Rori passes on.

Unfortunately Soly is now dying of portosystemic shunt. We have opted to forgo surgical options due to surgical risk, incidence of shunt recurrence and quality of life issues. Plus, the surgery is very hard on them and recovery is hard on a compromised pup.

That leaves us with drugs and diet. Diet is the reason I'm here today. According to much of what we've read, commercial hepatic diets are less than optimal which leaves homemade diets. According to our reading on that subject, it is of extreme importance to provide a balanced diet containing not just the right ingredients but the correct amounts for her weight, breed and health condition.

The typical prognosis is 10 months once diagnosed but with proper diet she may get a few more quality years before leaving us which would be great because we're still getting to know each other!

Which would be the best forums to post our tale? Dog Health? Dog Food? Any advice from those with experience caring for dogs with hepatic disease would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Hello, My wife and I have two American Cocker Spaniels. Rori is almost 13 and Soly is 28 months. We had another that lived to age 14 before dying of kidney failure. We added Soly to the family on the day after Christmas in 2014, in part to bring new life to Rori, which worked like a dream and to avoid being without a wagging tail once Rori passes on.

Unfortunately Soly is now dying of portosystemic shunt. We have opted to forgo surgical options due to surgical risk, incidence of shunt recurrence and quality of life issues. Plus, the surgery is very hard on them and recovery is hard on a compromised pup.

That leaves us with drugs and diet. Diet is the reason I'm here today. According to much of what we've read, commercial hepatic diets are less than optimal which leaves homemade diets. According to our reading on that subject, it is of extreme importance to provide a balanced diet containing not just the right ingredients but the correct amounts for her weight, breed and health condition.

The typical prognosis is 10 months once diagnosed but with proper diet she may get a few more quality years before leaving us which would be great because we're still getting to know each other!

Which would be the best forums to post our tale? Dog Health? Dog Food? Any advice from those with experience caring for dogs with hepatic disease would be appreciated as well.
Oh wow, I'm sorry you're dealing with this :(

I can move your thread to health or food if you'd like. Either would be appropriate. I'll put it in health for now.

Honestly, your best bet is to get a consultation with integrative veterinarian and canine nutritionist. An integrative veterinarian is a schooled DVM that incorporates a lot of natural heeling techniques into their practice. They use a lot of supplements and herbs. A lot also use acupuncture, massage therapy, laser treatments, and other similar practices. Some integrative vets are also very highly schooled and well researched in nutrition, or are also nutritionists, because they rely heavily on diet to deal with certain conditions.

They can help you formulate the best diet for her and can also probably recommend other supplements or therapies that might help. I've been feeding a home made raw diet for 8 years now, but I'm not familiar enough with liver issues and dietary impacts to really feel comfortable trying to help you out. I totally feel you on not being very satisfied with the quality or ingredients of the prescription hepatic diets. I would be doing the same thing you are. In the mean time though, I do suggest using a prescription hepatic diet, because they do actually work and help.

I can look up my sources and give you the info I find, but I really think your best bet is to get a professional involved. If you feel comfortable giving me your area or city, I can see if I can find the type of vet I'm talking about for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. We are in SE WA state.

I tried to join that yahoo group but apparently you are required to provide a mobile phone number and I no longer have one. I tried entering my home phone but it won't accept that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts