Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for reading! need help please. My 2 year old black lab mix (with pitbull he looks like), Chapsworth, and I live on a ranch where there is a lot of space to roam as well as a unique variety of other animals (A donkey, a llama, several horses, several cats, and one other dog named "Bear" who happens to be his best friend). he is a rescue and is not neutered yet. I rescued him a little over 6 months ago, and since then we have become a team; inseparable, though when we first met and i tried to pet him, he nipped me and often acted very shy and nervous around humans. the only people whom he has bitten in the time ive had him have been myself (that first meeting), and another resident, my buddy/coworker/supervisor, Gary when he tried petting him while i wasnt around. since ive had him, he has always been aggressive towards other non-canine animals. He charged at a horse while the owner was grooming him outside of the stable while Chapsworth was off-leash, and the horse kicked him and he had a small gash under his eye for a few weeks-didnt require stitches. I thought he wouldve learned his lesson about attacking other animals, especially bigger animals, but he has not. whenever he sees the llama or the donkey or the horse (the horse, "Dance", is usually in the corral behind a gate, while the others roam the ranch freely), he instantly charges at them full speed, growling, and tries to attack them. usually they easily outrun him and he gives up after i shout his name angrily around 15-20 times and he eventually comes back. and he definitely tries to do the same even while on the leash, but lately he has also been getting into small fights with strange, visitors' dogs who are also off-leash. he has met several dogs whilst living here and doesnt usually have a problem; my neighbor who lives across the corral from me (same distance as being across the street) has a dog named bear whom instantly became Chapsworth's best friend upon meeting him( they wrestle and race and play together whenever either of them are off leash, even visiting each other if one is leashed in the yard). this week whilst a crew was filming something that required a shot with the llama, we were coming around the corner and Chapsworth took off after it. this was the first time the llama was on a leash and wasnt able to run away so he jumped and pulled away and couldve dislocated Gary's shoulder( Gary was holding the llama for the shot), but after a short series of charges and failed attempts to bite the llamas legs, he yielded to my angry shouts and came back to me. then today, while i was checking in with another resident inside her place, i heard screeming and yelping and went to discover he was fighting with a smaller visiting dog and this time had drew blood from the armpit. it wasnt bad, but it did break some skin(it was described to me later after putting him back at my place on the leash). any advice to get him to stop being aggressive to other animals? i would prefer he stays off the leash and roams freely as the previous "ranch dog" did without many issues, but if i have to i will keep him locked in my yard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for your helpful, albeit disappointing, advice/suggestions. ive decided to keep him on a leash when hes with me, and keep him chained in the yard of my area when he is not, all the while employing techniques to deal with the separation anxiety he experiences. i think ill just have to seal the corral off whenever he and Bear play, and then back on the leash afterwards. The ranch dog who passed away a few months ago was a Caucasian Shepard who was free to roam the ranch, never got into trouble(except when gary first got him), and who would regularly patrol every road and areas of the ranch, barking in strategic places to ward off any nearby bears and mountain lions and other predators in the woods up until the night he died. i guess i was just hoping Chap would replace him, because he was a very good dog who provided a very important service to us. oh well, thanks again guys!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.