Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I want to say thanks for the responses I got from the previous update.

The blood work didn't show anything which is a good thing I suppose. On the other hand we still don't know what is causing his misery.

He woke up with more energy this morning but that dwindled by this evening.

I'm sorry for getting too descriptive but I hope you understand.
His diarrhea has turned very yellow and very watery with chunks of undigested chicken in it. YUCK! Sorry....

He put him on Imodium AD just till Saturday evening.

He mentioned something about some kind of pancreatic insufficiency. The test is hugely expensive for us. I hope and pray he doesn't need it.

In the previous update post someone asked if I was adding his food back slowly. Yes, I do it very slowly. I figured he needs even more time to get used to the change.

He did say his sugar was very slightly elevated but he said that is probably because of him being on steroids about 6 weeks ago and the stress of being at the vets office. I sure hope he's not going to be a diabetic. I had to send my little Jen Jen to the Rainbow Bridge last October. She was a rescue 3 week old puppy with her mommy who was out in the cold in January. She became diabetic and eventually went blind. She had bouts of pancreatitis too. I miss my little Jen Jen.

And we just lost our rescue Cockatiel Jo Jo about 2 months ago. I don't want to lose another baby again.

Please continue to pray for Gizzy and us as his parents. My heart breaks to see him or ANY animal suffer.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Have you tried switching him to lean ground beef and baked sweet potato? Brown the ground beef, and mix it with the sweet potato and feed him that. He may have a chicken allergy, and rice is not always digested so the sweet potato may be easier on his stomach.

It may be EPI http://www.epi4dogs.com/ from what you wrote he does have at least some of the symptoms. Is he also losing weight no matter how much you feed him? That's one of the major symptoms of it. There are test for it, but they do sometimes come back false negative. We had someone posting who's dog had that happen, he started giving it the treatment for EPI anyway and the dog started recovering.. Here's the thread on it http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/dog-lost-lot-weight-about-30-a-199385/ If nothing else the treatment is something to consider if nothing else is found to help your dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't tried ground beef but I will.

He is not losing weight. He's actually heavy for his age of 11 mo. at 16.3lbs

However, if his appetite doesn't get better he will. With all the other episodes he's had he ate well even though he still had the diarrhea. It's different this time.

I swear, I've had 2 children of my own and fostered 5. I have 2 kids now.... one on 4 legs and one on 2 and I'm married to him.

I gotta get him better, he's worrying momma!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, I haven't tried ground beef but I will.

He is not losing weight. He's actually heavy for his age of 11 mo. at 16.3lbs

However, if his appetite doesn't get better he will. With all the other episodes he's had he ate well even though he still had the diarrhea. It's different this time.

I swear, I've had 2 children of my own and fostered 5. I have 2 kids now.... one on 4 legs and one on 2 and I'm married to him.

I gotta get him better, he's worrying momma!!!
I hope you're able to find the underlying cause of the diarrhea and your little guy gets better soon. I've been going through a lot with my girl recently and tried everything to get rid of her diarrhea. No version of the bland diet worked for her. If nothing else is working, you might also try canned pumpkin. Real pumpkin not pie filling. My girl is about 43lbs and I gave her one tbs in am and one in pm. Within a day the poo went from water to cow pies and 2 days later it was totally normal. After more than 10 days of battling that nastiness. I will never NOT have pumpkin on hand now. Good luck to you both :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, just wanted to mention, I've read that even the leanest ground beef can have enough fat to exacerbate diarrhea in dogs. If you use it, I'd boil it. My girl is one who seemed to do worse on the beef.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Also, just wanted to mention, I've read that even the leanest ground beef can have enough fat to exacerbate diarrhea in dogs. If you use it, I'd boil it. My girl is one who seemed to do worse on the beef.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do agree be careful with the beef.

Normally I suggest chicken but I'm wondering if it's making the dog worse, I know it does my boy.

Ground turkey could be tried, sometimes dogs that can't handle chicken can handle turkey, others don't seem to do well on any poultry. Fish is another thing to consider, but it can get expensive to feed on a regular basis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts