Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

we lost one life today, but two small lives were left for us to care for.
The thing is - puppies are only 2 and a half days old.

We feed them artificial milk every 2 - 3 hours.
Puppies weigh ~500grams (1oz. = 113g) the boy did 50 ml the first time. and the girl 30 ml.

Useful advice is welcomed.

Nauris

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd call your vet and see their recomendation. So sorry about the momma, what happened? Unless it was some sort of trauma type thing (hit by car, ect), might want to make sure the pups are healthy and won't die the same way! Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We talked to vet, said to feed them 8 (or more) times a day, help them to do poo and pii. And hope for the best.
Mom was old, and we were stupid enough not to think that only two puppies are not enough. She showed no signs of problems but died fast this morning.
Just a few minutes ago we found a dead baby in garden, she probably had him/her in her for all these days. Probably some more were in here when she died. Buried them both beneath a plum tree.

But those two babies are doing good. Fed them again half an hour ago, now they are sleeping and looking funny.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh i'm sorry for your loss.

Seems like you've gotten the feeding under control,
If you don't mind me asking ;
Have you named them yet?
What breed ?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I am sorry she had to lose her life. I hope everybody reads this and learns from it. I also hope the puppies grow to be healthy, I know that when a mother is too old the pups can have complications their entire lives. GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The boys name is Francis and girls name is Dzina (in Latvian "dz" with a mark on top of z sounds as English "g").
Both were 700 grams yesterday.
The girl had some hard time with getting poo out, and boy had some hard time with gases in his tummy, but they are both getting better. Eating in 2-3 hour intervals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am so sorry about your loss!

Follow the vets instructions and I wish you the best of luck with your new friends!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
i really really really really (did i say really?) suggest finding a foster mom that can nurse these puppies...there is more involved developmentally with puppies than simply helping them eliminate and feeding them. They have to learn social skills from siblings and mom, especially bite inhibition and basically doggy body language.

These pups will be at a HUGE disadvantage mentally if they are not raised around other dogs ASAP.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts