Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another forum and came across this Infographic of the 2015 most popular dog names. https://www.rover.com/blog/dog-names/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Responsys&utm_term=12/02/2015&utm_campaign=B_12_02_Owner_Newsletter&omhide=true
Kind of interesting. What names have you see being used more frequently recently? I think it is the Nordic names.
https://www.rover.com/blog/dog-names/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Responsys&utm_term=12/02/2015&utm_campaign=B_12_02_Owner_Newsletter&omhide=true

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I secretly LOVE when my names never make the list. I know like 8 dogs named some combination of Charlie/Charles/Chuck. I'm definitely seeing a trend towards "people" names.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Sophie's in the list, but my other two aren't. I can't see Chisum making a list anytime soon, but we'll see.

I actually sent one of these lists to my mother, with the note that "my dog isn't popular". My mom loves to tell the story of when I was younger and the popular baby names list came on the news and apparently I cried because "I wasn't popular like my brother and no one likes me". (My name is MaKenna and my brother's is Jacob, so naturally he made every list). Haha.

It's interesting that there's a trend toward human names. We've always gone for human names, for the most part. I can only think of two dogs we've had in fact that didn't have a human name.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I'm really surprised Roxie or Roxy isn't on there. I at least know I've got a rare one with Forbes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm really surprised Roxie or Roxy isn't on there. I at least know I've got a rare one with Forbes.
I was surprised about Roxy too! I thought I was being unique when naming her after a surfing brand since I grew up around Cocoa Beach.

At least Rico isn't a common name in the states. Here in PR I've heard of at least 3-4 other dogs in the neighborhood named that!

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
917 Posts
What names have you see being used more frequently recently? I think it is the Nordic names.
I named Freyja after the Norse goddess, and I have three rats with Nordic names. Ivan, Bjorn and Alvar. I do tend towards people names, but I don't think my names normally make it on the popular list, and I'm fine with that. My other two dogs are Vegas and Shorty. I has a Nevada too. Vegas and Nevada were named because Vegas was my first dog with my BF and he loves Las Vegas. Shorty is a basset hound, kinda self explanatory. Then I have the cats, Kenny, LG(short for Little Guy), Sebastian, Lily and Jade. And I can't leave out the bad bird, Ziva. There are actually still a couple critters I haven't listed here, but I'll stop there.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@PoppyKenna - My real name is "Shandlyn", and I never saw my name in any of the stores with pre-made "customized" objects. I have a brother named Shadd and a sister named Shastamara. =P

·
Registered
500 Posts
I heard someone saying that what you hear today at the dog park, you'll hear at the playground tomorrow. Might be true because I keep seeing kids with 'dog names' - names that were old or out of fashion and then given to dogs and then new mothers and fathers discovered these unfashionable names and made them fashionable again. Or people naming pets after nature things once and their kids next.

My dog is Alva. I have heard of two dogs with the same name and met one. TWO of Alva's litter sisters are both called Bella and two are Nelli (our equivalent for Nelly/Nellie/Nell). The sixth one is Hoppu ("hurry") and I have only met this one. Bella is a very popular name and it has held the title for a long time, I think. Alva was in top ten of little Swedish girls few years ago but I assume not many Finns have discovered the name yet although I do not spend much time around kindergartens. I am even a bit sorry that I gave the name for a dog because if I ever have a daughter (unlikely), Alva would make an awesome name for her.

Many people hear my dog's name as Alma which is an old human name and popular for a soft-looking dog. Alma even sounds like something warm and gentle and grandmother-like.

Pipsa is also one popular name for a female dog here. I know two. Ruska (autumn colours) I would also count as popular. I know two Kirppu (flea, tiny), both males and I think they are not the only ones.

My family does not like popular names and I have always been happy that my name is not in the top 10 or printed on those name magnets or mugs they sell at stores. I have a mug with my name on it but it was custom-made for me. My mom tried to sell it and someone wanted to buy it for less than my mom wanted. So it was not sold. I later spotted it in the second hand box in their living room and said 'this used to be mine, it has my name on it, and I'll take it to my place, good luck, no one wanted to buy it at that price'.

Top Ten Finnish dog names according to kuono.fi*:
2013/2014
1 Luna (f)
2 Bella (f)
3 Nelli (f) #
4 Remu (m)
5 Onni (m) #/ Alma (f) #
6 Rico (m) / Minni (f) (#)
7 Rocky (m) / Roope (m) #
8 Topi (m) # / Sulo (m) #
9 Elli (f) # / Väinö (m) #
10 Vili (m) / Nuppu (f) (= bud, like rose bud) #

Minni and Roope are also known from Disney's comics (Minnie and Scrooge).
Sulo is related to the word 'suloinen' which means cute, sweet. Onni means happiness, or luck.

# = human name (at least theoretically)
* kuono.fi estimate was based on user input and may be inaccurate. Their sample did not appear to be very wide.

100 Finnish dog names This list contains 100 most common names in the Finnish Kennel Club Database. It does not dicriminate females from males. There are human names, modern names, and very traditional Finnish dog names mixed. I give the link in case someone wants to give a Finnish name for their dog.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Trucker came with his name and it got stuck in my head so I couldn't change it. He was supposed to be Copernicus (Cope for short) as the opposition to my cat Galileo (Gali or Leo for short). I tend to philosophers for my pets and for name I like for humans are so classic they still aren't used :).

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've got a #60 with "Simba" and I'm honestly shocked its not higher. I meet Simba's everywhere. I think there are a couple others on the forum as well

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm not at all surprised that Tully is not on the list--and I'm happy it isn't. So is my vet. They like it at the vet's office if you choose a dog name that's unusual as they cross-file under the pet's name and it's easier to find the records if there aren't fifty or sixty dogs under the same name in the files. On the other hand, I do get sick of having to repeat his name multiple times when people ask what it is. Geez, it's not that hard to pronounce or difficult to understand. And no, it's not Tilly or Telly. It's Tully. With a u. I had the same problem with Wylie--no, it's not Riley, it's Wylie. And no, it wasn't after the coyote, that doctor on ER, or Will Rogers' pilot. It was after the figure skater. For that matter, Tully was not chosen because I watch Game of Thrones either. It's from The Mouse that Roared, the first play I was ever in.

I'm not surprised that Bella is the top female name, but I don't think it's just because of Twilight. I know a number of people whose small children chose the name Bella because of Beauty and the Beast too. And at least one dog whose name is actually Isabella but is called Bella for short.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've seen a lot of Bodhi's and Oliver/Ollie's for males this year- I'm surprised neither of those made the list.

I've also seen a lot of female Harley's, which is a name I always thought sounded masculine, so I was surprised when a few started coming to work. I've seen a lot of Riley's of both sexes as well. There were THREE dogs in our obedience class of nine named Riley.

I think the weirdest was a female GSD named Duke. I thought she was a male for the longest time until one day when I was giving her a belly rub.

I've also known dogs with some unusual names- Honey Boy, Smoochee, Smuckers (after a dog in Seinfeld though), Buttermilk and Biscuit (a pair), Ah-choo, Princess Tutu, and Charlotte Lollipop Tree (Charlie for short). There's a lesson here about not letting your toddler name the dog.

I was thinking something similar to Tilden regarding the "pop culture" statistics. I don't think a lot of people who name their dogs "Luna" or "Maggie" necessarily have Harry Potter or the Walking Dead in mind. Same thing with Bella and Twilight. They've always been pretty popular dog names.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dog's name, Chester, is #88 on that list. I have never met another dog named Chester, although I know there is one on DF - owned by Jeru, I think. Both Chesters are black with white chests, incidentally. That's actually what inspired my dog's name - white chest, Chester - get it? :)

I usually prefer people names for dogs, although I did really love my last dog's name: Ahpun. Pronounced "Ahpoon". It means snow in Inupiaq. And she was a white husky mix. Such a unique name and it fit her, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I named Freyja after the Norse goddess, and I have three rats with Nordic names. Ivan, Bjorn and Alvar. I do tend towards people names, but I don't think my names normally make it on the popular list, and I'm fine with that. My other two dogs are Vegas and Shorty. I has a Nevada too. Vegas and Nevada were named because Vegas was my first dog with my BF and he loves Las Vegas. Shorty is a basset hound, kinda self explanatory. Then I have the cats, Kenny, LG(short for Little Guy), Sebastian, Lily and Jade. And I can't leave out the bad bird, Ziva. There are actually still a couple critters I haven't listed here, but I'll stop there.
Isn't Ivan Russian? In Germany Ivan is like the ultimate clichée of a Russian first name. :p
how do you pronouce Freyja? (Fr"I"-yuh, Fr"ey"-yuh, Fr"I"-juh or Fr"ey"-juh?)
I know a woman called like that... to her luck she doesn't look Nordic at all. :rolleyes:

Is this just an American study or does it take in other English speaking countries as well?
according to Tasso the most popular names (2014) in my country are (people names *)
for males:
Rocky
Sammy
Max*
Sam*
Balu (pronounced like Baloo the Bear)
Lucky
Buddy
Bruno*
Charly

and for females:
Luna*
Emma*
Bella* ("bellen" means also "to bark" in German...yeah very funny =_=" )
Amy
Kira*
Lilly*
Lucy*
Paula* ("au" pronounced like in "ouch")
Nala ( from the lion King)
Mia*

seems like a lot of theones chosing dog names are actually Anglophile, what you don't see to that extreme with babynames.
there are several names that are on both lists, thje English and the German one. :D
there are also much more female dog names corresponding with very popular babynames than with male dognames.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Isn't Ivan Russian? In Germany Ivan is like the ultimate clichée of a Russian first name. :p
how do you pronouce Freyja? (Fr"I"-yuh, Fr"ey"-yuh, Fr"I"-juh or Fr"ey"-juh?)
I know a woman called like that... to her luck she doesn't look Nordic at all. :rolleyes:
Ivan is listed in Russian and Nordic. I pronounce Freyja's name as 'Fr"ey"-yuh'. Not sure if that is 'right' way to say it or not, but it's how I do.

·
Registered
438 Posts
All my dogs have had African themed names. Such as Cairo, Kenya and Naira (ny ra). Naira is the Nigerian currency, and my country of origin.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Ivan is listed in Russian and Nordic. I pronounce Freyja's name as 'Fr"ey"-yuh'. Not sure if that is 'right' way to say it or not, but it's how I do.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I always thought Ivan was just the Slavic version of "John".

I don't know if there is one right way to spell it, because the region Freyja was popular in all kind of regions. :)
Probably it is the same as with "Maria"...in different Christian communities and languages it is spelled differently.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know that. I always thought Ivan was just the Slavic version of "John".

I don't know if there is one right way to spell it, because the region Freyja was popular in all kind of regions. :)
Probably it is the same as with "Maria"...in different Christian communities and languages it is spelled differently.
I really don't know much about the names and origins. I've seen Ivan on a few different list saying it's Nordic as well as other regions. I didn't actually pick it for that reason, I was just listing names I liked and letting my BF pick the one he liked, we agreed on Ivan. I'll see if I can find one of the list and meanings.

There is this site, http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Ivan

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was looking for an unique name for Chester but then the common name "Chester" popped in my head. Even though it was a common name, I felt like it fit him. I am surprised that Chester was not on that list.

Common names I know of for dogs are:
Sammy
Lola
Bella
Duke (defiantly most common)
Piper
Tucker
Chester
Max

Those of you who talked about having rare names.. I know how you feel! X) my real name is Jerusha.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts