Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 20 month old pitbull/boxer mix who seems to not want to eat anymore. In previous days, all he wanted was food, and wanted to eat whatever was there. Now he has reverted, with his food sitting out and hesitant to eat.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hello, I have a 20 month old pitbull/boxer mix who seems to not want to eat anymore. In previous days, all he wanted was food, and wanted to eat whatever was there. Now he has reverted, with his food sitting out and hesitant to eat.
First step is ruling out any physiological problems that could be causing the loss of apetite. take him to the vet's and once he has a clean bill of health than we can help to figure out why he isn't eating

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He does still eat. It just isn't instantaneous between when we serve him and when he gets around to eating it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Maybe he's not hungry at the time you feed him. Maybe feed him an hour later than usual and see if it changes anything. Do you feed him once or twice a day? Some dogs like to "graze" instead of eating it all at once. There's nothing wrong with that it's just sort of a personal preference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The same thing happened to my dog. He would still eat his dog food, but not as enthusiastically as before, and he would only eat his dog food if he was really hungry. He still managed to eat his treats up like a vacuum...I knew he wasn't sick.

I mixed in some new dog food of a different flavour into his old dog food, and he ate like a champ again. So, it turns out he was just tired of his dog food. I eventually switched over to the new flavour of the same brand, and he's been eating this for a few months now.

I anticipate eventually he will get tired of this too, so I will do a rotation of food.

Dogs do eventually get tired of their food...you could try something new and see how that works (but remember to mix the new food in gradually for a week or two, so not to upset their stomach).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.