Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old pup was diagnosed with hookworms and treated with Panacur.

He had a recheck at the end of treatment that was negative and another the next week that was still negative (because I was still seeing worms in the stool).

Vet assured me that this was normal - even though they were still alive.

It's been approximately 20 days since treatment ended and I'm still seeing the live worms in his stool. They are about an inch long and white.

Worse yet, I see dried up rice size bits on our bed where he sleeps! I don't know if these are "baby" worms or just shriveled adults.

Shouldn't they be gone by now?

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
My 2 year old pup was diagnosed with hookworms and treated with Panacur.

He had a recheck at the end of treatment that was negative and another the next week that was still negative (because I was still seeing worms in the stool).

Vet assured me that this was normal - even though they were still alive.

It's been approximately 20 days since treatment ended and I'm still seeing the live worms in his stool. They are about an inch long and white.

Worse yet, I see dried up rice size bits on our bed where he sleeps! I don't know if these are "baby" worms or just shriveled adults.

Shouldn't they be gone by now?
That does not sound like hookworms to me, it sounds like tapeworms. The rice sized, probably white or greyish white, things that you are seeing is dried up segments of the worm and a very good indication that it's tapeworms that he has. I'd get him to the vet, let the vet know what you are seeing, and, if he does not do one, ask to have a fecal flotation done to make sure it's only tapeworms that he still has.

If I'm right and it's tapeworm the reason your dog still has them is that regular wormers will not kill them, they require a different wormer, and you'll have to give him one dose of the wormer then a week or two later a second dose to make sure all the worms are killed.

In case you are interested, dogs and cats get tapeworms by swallowing an infected flea.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Those little rice looking flecks - sound like you are describing tapeworm segments as the above poster said. At least sign of tapeworm is easy to spot and it's a fairly easy worm to get rid of using medication.

My one cat that gets outside sometimes will end up with them. They can come from fleas, but also birds, and other critters carry them. Around here (I'm in Idaho) they are a common worm for a pet to get. On the other hand, we rarely see heart worm in this area.

If you are in an area where heartworm is found....you should absolutely have your vet check your dog for it...that worm is very hard to to work on from what I've read about it. Preventative meds are a must for that kind of worm.

Given your puppy as picked up a few types of worms, again, I hope you can talk to your vet about what else could be there....

Stormy

·
Registered
900 Posts
Rice looking things are definitely tapeworm. That is probably why you're still seeing them after so long as the medication your dog is on now is not for killing the tapeworms specifically. If your vet is saying this is normal, I would go to a different vet. It is not normal to continue to see live worms after 20 days of treatment. Clean your whole house very well, especially your bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would they not have seen tapeworm in the fecal exam? I have been seeing these worms in his stool since we adopted him and it's the whole reason I asked them to test him in the first place.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Those are definitely tapeworms. I'd think that they'd have shown up on the fecal test, if they didn't the vet should have known exactly what you were seeing if you described it to him and given you an appropriate wormer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
tape worms almost never show up on a fecal test… fecal tests are looking for parasite eggs or protozoans… not proglotids which is what you see there. So to diagnose a tape worm infection you have to actually see the worms (as you certainly can there… that is a very impressive infection by the way- easily the worst I have every seen and I have been a vet for 28 years). EASY to get rid of though (as mentioned already, need a different medication- praziquantel- and all will instantly die and disappear). Fortunately tape worm infections are rarely a medical problem… more disgusting than dangerous to your pet.

·
Registered
713 Posts
In addition to what Izrddr stated, tapeworms are transmitted by fleas. That means your dog ingested an infected flea at some point. If he is not already on a flea prevenative then he needs to Bo to prevent reinfection of the tapeworms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I sent them one of these pictures to show them and they phoned me and said come get tapeworm meds.

I wish they would have listened to me when I FIRST said that I was seeing worms. You can't usually see hookworms, right? They would have known there was a secondary infestation.

&yes, he is on Trifexis. He's had a capstar treatment prior to his last dose and we just bombed our apartment in case. He didn't have fleas though surprisingly and had the worms when we got him from the pound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts