Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2 year old rat terrier/American Eskimo mix named Winnie, that I got at two months old. I took Winnie to training classes, socialized her and every thing. After she was one year old I started taking her to the dog park once or twice a week. All was good and well tell both her and I got attacked by a dog. She was playing fetch and a dog just ran up to her and started attacking her, she was a very submissive dog so she just rolled on her back and cried. So I scream for someone to help and I picked her up and held her above my head. This dog then proceeded to attack me while trying to get to her. This dog dug it's nails into my side, bit my side trying to climb up to her her. My shirt was ripped and I had blood running down my side. This is when Winnie snapped, it was like something clicked in her head. She saw me getting hurt so she needed to protect me. She jumped out of my arms and went full force at the dog because still no one was helping me. Finally some guy came and helped me pull them apart. Now everytime she sees another dog comes near us she growls. If she sees them from a distance she does not care. I really need help on this because it's so sad to see another dog come near us and she refuses to accept them. Any advice would help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is a very bad deal for both of you. You will heal but have some bad feelings about the whole deal.

Your dog is really going to have a tough time. This exact same thing happened twice to me and my dog at two years of age. Being a male I responded with considerable force and I doubt either attacker will try it again. However my dog is like yours...very suspicious of dogs at our appartment. It's been a two year long battle to correct this problem and a lot of cost.

You are going to have to treat this very carefully so your dog only see positives. It's not necessary for your dog to have any contact with any dogs now and maybe never.
I would suggest you visit some trading centers in your area. They need to be very positive oriented and your dog needs to just be around the other dogs in the ring. Following, leading weaving in and out, long sits, downs, stands and recalls. Train with a leash eventually very loose leash, no off leash. Plan on a year or two.

I'm at two years of weekly classes the last 6 months two classes a week. It's finally working. I never allow direct meeting especially with untrained dogs.

An interesting thing happens at the training classes. After a few weeks the dog will begin to accept the class dogs and your reconstruction can start. I doubt you will have much success at dog parks. I'd avoid them for good. We have a very nice private dog park here at our appt. but I never go there even though it would be nice to run some of the agility equipment.

Work on getting a very close bond to your dog. I have a play session 2-3 times a day in my appt. I work on class things, heel,recall,sit, down and stands. Samantha has twelve ot thirteen toys that we use for retrieves. I don't do formal retrieves but just require a sit when she brings a toy to me. We do jumps too. Overall it is great exercise and " fun" for her. I also have her " do laundry" where she brings my dirty clothes to the laundry room. It's all part of the bonding.

I also talk to her in a special voice tone. When she looks or watches me she gets a food reward. She is glued to me walking and has an explosive recall.

I hope you both are healing and this can help you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you Emlays. This is something I really worry about since my dogs are very small. I think for a while you should find places where you can play without encountering any other dogs and then maybe reintroduce your dog to other dogs slowly and one at a time until the dog feels more comfortable around them. Can I ask where the other dog's owner was and whether they took responsibility for what happened and has stepped up to pay your bills?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts