Dog Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
He has not been rechecked for Giardia and he has never been checked for Colitis. I am considering a second opinion if things do not get better with the Hills Z/D diet. I am paying for the Banfield Wellness Plan so I am trying to stay in their network but I will go outside if I have to.

Hills Z/D trial with probiotics and pro-pectalin:

Day 1: 2 meals with a 70/30 split of rice/beef and Hills Z/D. Stool 1 was runny, most likely from the meal the night before. Stool 2 was 50/50.

Day 2: 2 meals with 40/60 split of rice/beef and Hills Z/D. Stool 1 was mostly firm and easy to pick up. Stool 2 started firm and then he did a walking squat poop which was a trail of loose stool.

Day 3: 3 meals with 20/80 split of rice/beef and Hills Z/D. Stool 1 was firm, the best one yet. Stool 2 started firm and turned runny. He has had two small episodes of diarrhea after stool 2 within 15-30 minutes of each other.

He was in daycare for days 1 and 2, which is why he got 2 meals vs 3.

Seems like a pattern of starting firm and then turning runny throughout the day. Still an improvement from past diets.

·
Registered
324 Posts
He has not been rechecked for Giardia and he has never been checked for Colitis. I am considering a second opinion if things do not get better with the Hills Z/D diet. I am paying for the Banfield Wellness Plan so I am trying to stay in their network but I will go outside if I have to.

Hills Z/D trial with probiotics and pro-pectalin:

Day 1: 2 meals with a 70/30 split of rice/beef and Hills Z/D. Stool 1 was runny, most likely from the meal the night before. Stool 2 was 50/50.

Day 2: 2 meals with 40/60 split of rice/beef and Hills Z/D. Stool 1 was mostly firm and easy to pick up. Stool 2 started firm and then he did a walking squat poop which was a trail of loose stool.

Day 3: 3 meals with 20/80 split of rice/beef and Hills Z/D. Stool 1 was firm, the best one yet. Stool 2 started firm and turned runny. He has had two small episodes of diarrhea after stool 2 within 15-30 minutes of each other.

He was in daycare for days 1 and 2, which is why he got 2 meals vs 3.

Seems like a pattern of starting firm and then turning runny throughout the day. Still an improvement from past diets.
Are you 100% confident that they are not giving him ANYTHING at all while he is at daycare? Like not even one single treat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not 100%, but I the past two days I've been home with him and monitoring him. The first day on 100% Z/D he did not have a stool.

The second day he had 3:

Stool 1. Low quantity but mostly firm
Stool 2. High quantity. Mush but not runny.
Stool 3. Low quantity. Runny droplets.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It sounds like you puppy has a leaky gut, antibiotics is only going to make it worse in the long run. I recommend seeing a holistic vet that has more tools to offer you and to switch to a raw diet.

I also wouldn't neuter a sick dog, surgery is extremely taxing on the immune system. Concentrate on making him well before neutering or you are setting him up for even more health issues. Neutering isn't an emergency thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update.

My last post was above on 25MAR. That night he had 7+ episodes of diarrhea. I took him to a pet hospital the next day and they decided to keep him on the pro-pectalin and also added tylan to the mix. His stools gradually got better.

For a little over 2 weeks now he has has primarily solid stools. Every now and then he will have a stool that is a little soft, but still in shape. Once in the past two weeks he had a stool that was half hard and half loose.

The past few days i weened him off pro-pectalin and now he is on only tylan. I am also reducing his dose of tylan in half with the hopes of getting his off all anti-diarrhea medication.

He has been on Hills Z/D for almost a month now and does periodically have a kong with peanut butter or a "Earth Animal" beef/salmon chew or some cheese. I can tell he is really getting tired of the Z/D because it is getting to the point where I feel I am convincing him to eat it. If he can maintain solid stools without anti-diarrhea medication, I want to start introducing him to another diet.

Knowing Remy's history, are there any food brands that you would recommend?

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Update.

My last post was above on 25MAR. That night he had 7+ episodes of diarrhea. I took him to a pet hospital the next day and they decided to keep him on the pro-pectalin and also added tylan to the mix. His stools gradually got better.

For a little over 2 weeks now he has has primarily solid stools. Every now and then he will have a stool that is a little soft, but still in shape. Once in the past two weeks he had a stool that was half hard and half loose.

The past few days i weened him off pro-pectalin and now he is on only tylan. I am also reducing his dose of tylan in half with the hopes of getting his off all anti-diarrhea medication.

He has been on Hills Z/D for almost a month now and does periodically have a kong with peanut butter or a "Earth Animal" beef/salmon chew or some cheese. I can tell he is really getting tired of the Z/D because it is getting to the point where I feel I am convincing him to eat it. If he can maintain solid stools without anti-diarrhea medication, I want to start introducing him to another diet.

Knowing Remy's history, are there any food brands that you would recommend?
That's great! I'm so glad he's doing better, I've been wondering how he's been.

I would put him on a limited ingredient diet. Zignature and Natural Balance both have a pretty good selection, with Zignature having more meat in their formulas.

You can find both of those on chewy.com, they have great prices on the foods. Even if you do not choose to purchase the food from their it is a great place to check out the ingredients and nutritional info on the food.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
He was find with zignature for about 2 months. He was on multiple protein sources of zignature as well.

About two weeks ago the diarrhea started again. Switched back to Z/D and anti-diarrhea with slight improvement.

I'm thinking about homecooking this time around

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that boiled sweet potato can offer some relief. Or canned pure pumpkin (not the pie filling). When my dog had almost the exact problems your dog is having, he ate chicken and sweet potatoes. It helped bulk up his stools and they weren't as runny. My vet also pushed Hill's (the Z/d kind) and my dog refused to eat it. Unfortunately it was a year of trial and error and he finally settled down with Wellness Simple Lamb Recipe, with boiled sweet potato mixed in. Now, five years later, he can eat anything and he's fine. Sometimes pups experience these sorts of "growing pains" and it's absolutely exhausting trying to figure out what works. My final straw was when my vet tested for every parasite, had him on Pepcid, a probiotic, and Hill's, and my dog was passing bloody stools. I researched until I couldn't see straight and started following my gut instead of trying a millions medicines. I'm not saying don't follow your vet's instructions. Just also listen to what your pup is trying to convey. I wish you the best.
JRobinson: I am having similar issues with my 9mo puppy. Can you tell me what the "cure" was for your dog's bloody diarrhea?

·
Registered
35 Posts
  1. Make sure the dog has access to plenty of clean water to avoid dehydration. Encourage the dog to drink. If needed, offer dilute chicken addition to the water.
  2. Give the dog a small meal of boiled white meat chicken (no bones or skin) and white rice. This can be the dog's diet until the stool consistency returns to normal.
  3. If the diarrhea continues for more than 24 hours or your dog’s condition worsens at any time, call your vet immediately.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts