Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7mo old lab and just took onna 2 mo old shiloh shepherd. My lab is well trained. But she wants to play with the shiloh non stop. The shiloh will just be laying down and my lab will go up and start jumping around her initiating a play session. My problem is that its literally all the time with my lab. Even when my shiloh is trying to sleep. Ive been separating them lately so they each can rest. So two questions how much play is too much with a 8 week old pup. And how can i train my lab to leave her be while shes sleeping or resting? Thanks

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Urgh~ one adolescent, slowly maturing hyper breed and one baby working dog ....that's a lot you you brought upon yourself.
even with your Labbie obviously being not a difficult case when it comes to puberty...this'll be fun.
I'd rather eat as full pot of lentil soup than being responsible for this combination.

i think the best way to teach your Lab-Teenie to leave your Schäfi-Baby alone would be to to keep it occupied. If the Lab learns that the other dog is boring in comparision to you and the things you do with them, everything is great and he'll leave the baby alone.
adolescent dogs have a lot of energy. train and play with him.
exercise your dog a lot...and with exercise I mean, that you should be engaged in the game aswell, don't just play fetch and make your poor dog mentally addicted to the thrill of catching something that flies. do something that engages their social abilities and their other senses as well and vary the games you play with your dog.
make also sure to take your older dog and your younger dog seperately to the city center, to parks or cafés... teach them how to behave in public, how to walk on a leash in an area with a lot of people...all these things will make your dog a more stable and social competent dog and all kind of training that makes your dog work with its brain and not just eyes and muscles will also make your dog more tired and calmer at home, when done right.
Make sure to walk your dogs seperately to train leash behaviour...a puppy of 8 weeks, especially of a big breed which is known for bone problems (and especially when it bred for coat colpour more than for temperament, health and working qualities like a lot of those shilohs), shouldn't walk as long as a healthy 7 months old Labbie needs to be walked everyday.
a 8 weeks old dog should be walked not longer than 10 minutes at a time and an 7 months old dog should be walked around 35 minutes at a time.
don't overdo it with walking, this can damage the growing joints, ligaments and bones in both dogs. Make also sure don't to let them do to sharp turns or jumps until thexy're around 1.5 -2 years. :)

ma~n, as great as these breeds are, I don't envy you. XD

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lol how much playing with each other is allowed? My lab always wants to play even after a training/walk session. So how much play is too much?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts