Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! First-time dog owner here. We got a puppy last week and he's awesome, but he randomly seems to be reverse potty-training himself. He's a Lab/red-nosed Pit mix, 15-20 lbs, and the pound said he's about 2-3 months. (Idk if any of that's relevant, but there it is, lol. :p)

So the first few days, he did great. Totally potty-trained. I took him out frequently and he scoped out a spot, pooped and peed like a champ. Awesome, right. He had a couple accidents in the early morning when we couldn't get to the back door fast enough, but no big deal. He's a puppy, so we expected that.

But the past few days, he's decided that he only wants to do his business INSIDE the house. No idea where he got this idea from, because the first time he pooped indoors, he seemed upset about it. Now he's like, whatever, lol. He starts acting like he has to go (sniffing the ground, pawing, etc.), so I take him out, and then he literally refuses to go to the bathroom. Sometimes he does, but usually I have to pick him up and put him down in the grass or he won't even walk off the patio, and then I'll be outside coaxing him to just do it already for 15-30 minutes with him staring at me like I'm crazy. Then we go inside and boom, 5 minutes later he poops or pees (or both...) on the floor. :rolleyes:

Not sure what to do. He has a few minor behavioral issues, but this one's the big cheese. Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Crate train him. The only places he should be right now are in his crate inside, in the house with a leash on with you looking right at him, and outside.
If you do this correctly he will get the idea and it works very well.
Housetraining

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crate train him. The only places he should be right now are in his crate inside, in the house with a leash on with you looking right at him, and outside.
If you do this correctly he will get the idea and it works very well.
Housetraining
Thanks. We're working on the crate training. He got used to it on Day 2, and he goes in and out freely on his own. Now he just likes to chill out in there, take a nap and stuff. He sleeps awesome in it at night, too.

He roams around the house on a leash (we've got a cat that he's still getting used to), and we let him run off the leash when he's contained in a room. He's never unsupervised inside or outside, but unfortunately, when he goes in the house, he doesn't show "signs". He'll be playing, then he just squats and empties the tank...lol.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
when he goes in the house, he doesn't show "signs". He'll be playing, then he just squats and empties the tank...lol.
That's classic puppy behavior. At two months old, he has no idea he has to pee. They are playing happily, when all of a sudden their brain says "Have to go NOW" and they immediately void their bowels.

At this age it's basically YOUR responsibility. You can't be relying on him to let you know when he has to go. My puppies went out every hour on the hour, after a play session, after a drink, after eating, after waking up from a nap, or any signs of sniffing/pawing.

Take him out on leash, and when he goes, praise like craaaazy. I wait 15 minutes, and if they don't go, we go back inside and go in their crate for 5 minutes. Then we go out and try again. Once they potty, huge party and we either get to go off leash to play or inside to play. Then the cycle repeats.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
and we let him run off the leash when he's contained in a room. He's never unsupervised inside or outside, but unfortunately, when he goes in the house, he doesn't show "signs". He'll be playing, then he just squats and empties the tank...lol.
Don't let him off the leash and do not look away from him at all if he is in the house on the leash. Honestly, taking the time to train him right the first time, is a lot less aggravating than trying to correct his bona fide (to him) belief that if he already smells his own pee on the floor that is what it must be for.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Has anything changed or happened outside that might explain the change? Does the puppy behave otherwise normally outside?

Sudden changes in housetraining can also suggest UTI and a visit to the vet but your dog is so young it can just be plain 'not-trained-yet'.

Do you stand still when you want the puppy to go when you are outside? Would it help if you walk the puppy a little?

I think I've heard that if a puppy is walked but does it inside right after a walk, you could bring the puppy inside and then back outside. I though do not remember the logic behind this trick.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Has anything changed or happened outside that might explain the change? Does the puppy behave otherwise normally outside?

Sudden changes in housetraining can also suggest UTI and a visit to the vet but your dog is so young it can just be plain 'not-trained-yet'.

Do you stand still when you want the puppy to go when you are outside? Would it help if you walk the puppy a little?

I think I've heard that if a puppy is walked but does it inside right after a walk, you could bring the puppy inside and then back outside. I though do not remember the logic behind this trick.

Having had a puppy that would happily pee outside, then 10 min later pee on my floor, I'm one that suggests that trick.

The logic behind it is that some puppies, for whatever reason, do not fully empty their bladders the first time they pee, so giving them either more time outside to pee a second time, or bringing them in then taking them out in around 5 min, will ensure that their bladders are empty before they have some freedom in the house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get some attractant spray from the pet store. You spray it in a circle in the backyard and it attracts the dog to go potty. I got it for my foster dog and it worked he didn't go pee in the house again after that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At this age it's basically YOUR responsibility. You can't be relying on him to let you know when he has to go. My puppies went out every hour on the hour, after a play session, after a drink, after eating, after waking up from a nap, or any signs of sniffing/pawing.

Absolutely agree on this.
The pup is just 2 months old, what can you expect.
Before UTI, just try out the suggestion above and potty train your pup.
If it work out, great. If it does not work out, we will think of another way. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Make sure you also make a huge deal out of giving him attention and treats when he potties outside. Praise oftentimes isn't enough, so treats immediately after he potties outside will be a big help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts