Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
We have two sweet 18 month old female Jack Russells from the same litter. I noticed yesterday that the girls have developed dark irregular shaped patches of skin around their nipples, in a few places on their belly and also around their private areas. The spots are dark brownish/gray and are not raised, scabbed or oozing. However, the nipples on both dogs have turned dark brown. The patches around their private areas look almost identical on both dogs, with a "kidney-shaped" patch on each side if that makes sense. All these symptoms developed almost overnight. Besides that, the dogs seem totally normal and haven't had any changes in appetite, energy, have no pain in the areas and also aren't licking excessively.Called our beloved vet and he suspects a skin infection, but can't see them for a few days. We adore our vet and trust him. He didn't seem to think there was a rush, but I'm just wondering what this could be? Can't find much of anything on the internet that matches the symptoms. Seems strange that they'd both develop these patches at the same time if it was a normal change in skin pigmentation or something. Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Can you post a picture?

I would have thought it was a normal pigment change that you just didn't happen to notice or that they were, for some odd reason, licking excessively.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures

Here is a picture of Little's belly (my sister's dog)
Little Dark Patches.jpg

Here is the picture of Piper's belly
Piper Dark Patches.jpg

Unfortunately, my digital camera is out on loan to a friend right now, so my camera phone is the next best thing. I know these aren't the greatest pictures. So sorry!

Thanks for your response Holly. I thought maybe it was a pigment thing I hadn't noticed also, but these girls both get their bellies rubbed a lot and three different people in my family who see them regularly and also my boyfriend agree the patches and nipple color definitely weren't there before. They aren't licking excessively either... Just an odd thing that's got me wondering! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Just looks like changed pigment to me :) I just wanna rub those tummies!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! :) I agree, I thought they were pigment changes initially & still kind of do. I had to call the vet to schedule some vaccinations & mentioned it to the receptionist who then called me back to say he seemed to think it was odd that they both developed them so quickly and at the same time & thought it may be a mild skin infection. Guess we'll find out for sure soon. I'll be sure to post the outcome! Thanks again! Oh and thanks Cali, they're sweethearts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Well, I finally got the girls into the vet today. Basically, he said that the dark patches are a sign of seasonal allergies and it's good we caught it & brought them in early as it can quickly get out of hand & then can become difficult to manage. He said he's seen this before and normally symptoms vary day by day based on allergen counts in the air that day (pollen, mold etc). He suspects that as the Spring/Summer progresses that they will likely develop itchy skin, excessive loss of fur, runny nose & red eyes - especially if left untreated. The allergic reactions can be caused both by allergens coming in contact with the skin and also systemically from breathing allergens in or allergens entering via the eyes, nose, ears or mouth.

He gave us a prescription for Prednisone to take once weekly & before they'll be outside for a long period of time (over 5 hours). He also said to give them some Flaxseed Oil or Omega 3 Oil (about 50-100 mg) preferably with Vitamin E, to give them baths after they've been outside for several hours (& switch to a shampoo advertised to "nourish" the skin) & to put Vitamin E oil on them after bathing. He also recommended we switch to a food that has some of these oils in it or says it's specifically targeted for nourishing skin &/or coat. We can also give them a bit of Children's Benadryl based on their symptoms if they seem to be having a worse day.

The reason they both developed this at the same time is because apparently allergies run in "families" in dogs just like they do in people. Piper has had issues with allergies in the past (itchy skin, loss of fur) and we have controlled it with a monthly injection of Prednisone. We're going to switch to the oral dosing & incorporate the other suggestions listed above & hopefully keep things under control. I'm glad I took them in & we were able to take control over things before they potentially got out of hand. Don't want the girls to have any unnecessary discomfort!

Thanks again for all the help! :)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I wish you luck! I completely disagree with a lot of what you posted that the vet said, but c'est le vie!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
wow, ditto this. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. Thats pigment, hands down :)
Um, seriously! (Thank you because for a second I thought I was crazy... )

And a prednisone once a week and as needed??? Because that's not going to screw around with the body's natural steroids at all ...

You know what also runs in families... pigment :rolleyes: Especially since your dogs have no signs of allergies according to your original post...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts