Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I live in a house that's in an Equestrian District. The neighboring houses have acres of land where owners care for Horses, Goats and Roosters, etc. My two dogs, Bubba (Husky - age: 9 months) and Forrest (Jack Russell Terrier - age: 1), learned from Bubba's Mom, (Trina - age: 4) how to hunt and kill Roosters. The bad part, is that a lot of the hunting happened at night, so I couldn't correct it right away. Now it's a habit for them.

Does anyone have advice on how to correct their behavior?

I now currently keep all 3 dogs inside at night. Planning to neuter Bubba as soon as possible and the Mom will need to be spayed by her owners. Forrest is already neutered.

Many thanks for your help.
-Bev

·
Registered
884 Posts
A fence and leashes. Dogs like to have fun, and killing roosters is really super fun for your dogs. Just give them a nice enclosed yard, then train them and take them on leashed walks, and eventually, if you spend a lot of time with your dogs, training and playing with them, you can take them to open spaces away from roosters and other small animals they want to hunt, and give them fantastic off-leash exercise.
Teach them to play fetch with you, and or tug-of-war, away from roosters. Your neighbours, your dogs, and especially the remaining roosters will love you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Keep them in at night and keep them either leashed or in a enclosed area at other times. Both breeds have a pretty strong prey drive and I would never trust them around chickens or other small animals. I'm not sure where you are at, but in the USA many places have laws that a landowner can shoot dogs threatening their land/livestock. I would hate for your dogs to get hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A fence and leashes. Dogs like to have fun, and killing roosters is really super fun for your dogs. Just give them a nice enclosed yard, then train them and take them on leashed walks, and eventually, if you spend a lot of time with your dogs, training and playing with them, you can take them to open spaces away from roosters and other small animals they want to hunt, and give them fantastic off-leash exercise.
Teach them to play fetch with you, and or tug-of-war, away from roosters. Your neighbours, your dogs, and especially the remaining roosters will love you.
Thank You for the help! I greatly appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep them in at night and keep them either leashed or in a enclosed area at other times. Both breeds have a pretty strong prey drive and I would never trust them around chickens or other small animals. I'm not sure where you are at, but in the USA many places have laws that a landowner can shoot dogs threatening their land/livestock. I would hate for your dogs to get hurt.
Yes, I live in Los Angeles county. That is what I'm afraid of... for the dogs to get killed by the landowner. I do plan to move within 6-12 months, so I'll keep them inside or tethered in the mean time. They're pretty good during the day. They know they're not supposed to leave the yard. It's just at night time when it really gets tricky. I appreciate your input. Thank You!

·
Registered
884 Posts
You may be able to get a used portable dog run cheap, or even borrow from neighbours if you're in farm country. Not ideal, but will keep dogs and roosters safe. Could even buy used, and sell when you move.
Also, there is something called 'step-in-fence-posts' for creating temporary fencing. Might be too flimsy for dogs, but some dogs have huge respect for visual barriers.
My own dogs were always in the house when I was not home, and all their exercise came from walks on leash in the neighbourhood, or, when possible, off-leash on public forest trails (off-lead exercise allowed).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
884 Posts
almost forgot, T-rail fence post can be used to make a secure enclosure, the posts can be removed when you leave, and again, in farm country, you might just be able to borrow something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts