Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! So since the little one's reactivity is "under control" (I say that because she's not completely "healed" but she is manageable and improving every walk...yippee!), I found that it is 1) much easier on me, as far as my schedual goes, to walk both dogs at once and 2) we all seem to enjoy it more. But walking two dogs at once is definitely more challenging than walking one :p

So a few questions. Do you walk two dogs at once? If you do, do you have one dog on the left and the other on the right? Or are they both on the same side? I tried for lots of walks walking them on different side, but the puppy would always cross over to where my older dog was. I just thought she was doing this because she wanted to go sniff but towards the end of our walk today I tried walking them both on one side. They seem to like that better and the little one won't cross over that way.

But because the puppy is still a little reactive I need to have a firm grip on the leash for training and whatnot. The older one I'm not that concerned about because she walks off leash as well and isn't reactive.

So could anyone give me advice on how to hold the leashes correctly?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good luck with this...I have two dogs myself and it is harder to walk two than one. Especially when one pulls more, has more energy, and is just plain ornery at times.

Personally I normally walk them on different sides so I can correct my youhger one (Rosco) more when need be and not pull on Lilly's leash as well. Sometimes I will start by walking them seperate and then towards the end put them together and they will do OK.

As for the leash goes, I fold up the leash into my hand until they are walking at my side (not too tight as to strangle them or anything). Now I do let it go after awhile to let them do their duty before rolling them up again. To me it is more relaxing to have them at my side than up ahead and off to the side and pulling. Plus once I let the leash out so they can have more room to walk or do their duty they are constantly going to the other side and tangling the leashes up. For me it gets frustrating pretty quickly.

Do admit in the mornings I will give them a short walk and I will use the first half of the walk letting them smell and look for a place to do their business. On the way back I walk them at my side...just so they can at least have a little free room before locking them in the kennel before I go to work.

I am definately no expert on this, but that is what I do...hope it works and good luck with it. :)

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Well, I was looking for this thread for ya: http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/how-earth-do-you-walk-two-27761/ but then saw that you'd started it too. :p

One of my dogs recently had an incident that caused him to be leash reactive (fearful) to dogs approaching us on walks. I now walk him separately, so I can focus on his training. The other two, I still walk together and let them walk ahead of me and do some sniffing. My rule is namely off the street and out of the yards. I engage them in other training to break up the walk. Two walk in front clip harnesses, the other in a step in since she loose leashes great.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
We used a leash linkr (about 3 ft long) for Addison hooked onto Chloe for a long time as she was soo fearful of humans/other dogs and we were working on her with other more important tasks. We had to take it REALLY slow or she would react badly and hide in the back yard from us, sigh. She also has some cognitive delays.

Anyway, she loved being linked to her "mother dog". When she got older we used two separate leashes to work with her walking, or did it without Chloe. Addy is doing fairly well!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We used a leash linkr (about 3 ft long) for Addison hooked onto Chloe for a long time as she was soo fearful of humans/other dogs and we were working on her with other more important tasks. We had to take it REALLY slow or she would react badly and hide in the back yard from us, sigh. She also has some cognitive delays.

Anyway, she loved being linked to her "mother dog". When she got older we used two separate leashes to work with her walking, or did it without Chloe. Addy is doing fairly well!
See I would use a leash link or coupler like that because it seems like a really great thing...but seeing as Jada has reactivity issues, I want to be able to correct/grab her seperately.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Because of the state of my ghetto neighborhood, I no longer walk my dogs for fear of somebody stealing them. But when I did and I walked all at once, I just used multiple leashes. I also had them set up in a very specific order. My more reactive dog was kept between me and my less reactive dog on my left. My small mixed breed was on my right. I never had any problems.

I will say though that walking a reactive dog with other dogs can either help you or harm you. If your other dogs are more on the bombproof side, it can really help. Your reactive dog will see the other dogs not reacting to the things she does, and you'll find that she calms down more quickly or will notice a trigger, but not react to it when she realizes nobody else is.

If you have other reactive dogs, I would highly advice not walking them together because they will end up reinforcing each others behaviors.

·
Registered
393 Posts
As for the leash goes, I fold up the leash into my hand until they are walking at my side (not too tight as to strangle them or anything). Now I do let it go after awhile to let them do their duty before rolling them up again. To me it is more relaxing to have them at my side than up ahead and off to the side and pulling. Plus once I let the leash out so they can have more room to walk or do their duty they are constantly going to the other side and tangling the leashes up. For me it gets frustrating pretty quickly.

Do admit in the mornings I will give them a short walk and I will use the first half of the walk letting them smell and look for a place to do their business. On the way back I walk them at my side...just so they can at least have a little free room before locking them in the kennel before I go to work.

I am definately no expert on this, but that is what I do...hope it works and good luck with it. :)
I only have one dog, but I am a dog walker at work and we walk two dogs at a time. What I do with the leashes is pretty much exactly what is said above.

As far as which side, I try very hard to get one calm dog with an energetic dog to balance it out. If they are hard to control, I keep one on each side. If I know I'm passing a lot of people/dogs I move both to one side (the more naughty one is kept the closest) and keep them close as well as in a 'forward' mind set.

If I have to, I'll take both dogs off the path and put them in a "sit and stay" position to let the other dogs pass.

Works pretty well for me and I walk anything from two great danes to two chihuahuas!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Both of mine walk slightly ahead of me to my left with Rhea on the left and Flynn next to her on the right. I usually just hold one leash in each hand haha. I want to get a link/coupler one day, but Flynn is still too little to be attached to Rhea.

Also if we are passing anyone or other dogs, I usually put one on each side of me and just shorten their leashes up. They like to jump on people and say hi (trying to break that habit still). There's also a few "unfriendly" dogs that other people walk near us so I usually just move out of the way and let them pass. Mine get too excited and want to say hi, so it's just easier for me to move over and have them sit. It's kind of cool when you do that, some people will comment on how well trained your dogs look haha!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, guys.

I couldn't take them on their routine walk today because of the weather but tomorrow should be much nicer out.

Last walk when I had them both walk on the same side I had the calmer one closer to me and the reactive one on the other side of her. They automatically went like that but I think it would be better to have the reactive one closer to me instead. I will try it out tomorrow!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've walked 4 of our dogs at once. They were mostly out in front of us except the St Bernard who doesn't even need a leash and stays right beside you. He's just too lazy to go any faster than necessary. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I tried walking them on the same side but the leashes got entangled (and me) very easily so that didn't work out. I mainly walked them on different sides which is difficult since the puppy likes to switch sides a lot. I'll probably try to continue to walk them on seperate sides- which is unfortunate because they look so happy when they are right next to each other!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decided against coupler for now since I want to be able to control the reactive one seperately + they both have easy walk harnesses and they are not supposed to be used with couplers.

Anyway, so it is easier (i found) to walk each dog on different sides. Easier to control the reactive one and I just feel more in control of the walk. Overall, they have done pretty well. They both have their "assigned" sides that they walk on and if they try to cross over I say no and guide them back to their side.

They got the hang of it very quickly! Once I wasn't paying attention and got the leashes tangled up while they were sniffing around and when we started walking again the dogs were on the wrong sides and guess what? The little one went straight back to her side and reminded me that I was holding the leashes wrong :)

Also good news with the reactive puppy! Although she did bark at a few cars (we took a different route this time and lots of cars passed by pretty close to us), she is definitely improving. Also, I was walking and saw a few men using ver loud leaf-blowers down the street. There was no way to avoid them unless I went out of my way (which is what I usually do with my reactive dog). But I decided I would just take a deep breath and go for it. And guess what? At first she froze completely and stared at them but I continued to walk and when she walked with me (even though she was still focused on them) I praised her. Then the older dog stopped to sniff something and the little one snapped out of it and just suddenly ignored everything else and was fine and just started sniffing around as well.

And the leaf blowers were right there! 1) they were PEOPLE and 2) they had loud scary machines. And yet not one peep out of that dog! We walked past them without any embarassment and she got a TON of praise and a few treats as well :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts