Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new here. I Was hoping to get some advice/reassurance on my dogs condition.
Last week my little 1 yr old chihuahua collapsed and nearly died on arrival to the vets.

She was admitted to hospital and turns out she has Addison’s disease. I’m new to having dogs to begin with and had absolutely no idea what this condition was when they told me. I’ve tried looking up info but it’s varied and more specific to other breeds.

My little Chi is my world I crumbled when they said she was likely to pass away on that day. I couldn’t eat or do anything else. I cried every hour she was away from me in the vets and hospital.
She is my family I love her so so much. She is so young and so small. I am very anxious and really need some help or advice support anything.

Luckily she is back home now and is on medication for Addison’s. Prednisolone 1mg once a night and a Zycortal injection once a month she will now need they said.

I’m just concerned as I have no idea about these meds and want to be aware of side effects in the long term as she will have to be on these for the rest of her life.

Shes managing to eat a bit better each day but still extremely skinny and shivers a lot I don’t know if that’s because of cold or because of Addison’s.

Any info/discussion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

· Registered
1,171 Posts
As for side effects. The drugs can have side effects. Keep a journal of any signs you see in the dog like the shaking (onset, duration, intensity) and show the journal to your vet. You may need to schedule a check up in about a month. Hormone treatments usually need to be tweeked so that the dosage isn't too high or to low.

Specific information about the drugs can be found here and here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.