Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time dog owner. I have a 14 month old English lab named Brogan. And I adore him. But he is lacking some serious listening skills and obedience. He runs a muck in the house and will grab at anything possible. Dropping one to go to the next. It’s honestly a constant non stop battle 24/7. He doesn’t sleep except for night and has ripped apart both beds purchased for him in the living room.

fast forward to the outside stuff. Obviously without him listening Inside the house he does worse outside. Pulling on his leash. Laying down and not moving. Jumping up at the lease just to name a few.

I am really struggling with this because there are some things he does so amazingly well at!! And others is like a wild bat outta hell. I have a hard time having him out when company is over because he makes me seem like a crazy person chasing him around all the time.

please please help with what I should do.

appreciate it in advance.

MT

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
He is at a difficult age, adolescence can be challenging.

You've said a lot about him not listening and not paying attention, it's a lot easier to frame this if you think about what you do want him to do - dogs struggle with ”not” doing (same as us - see what happens if I ask you to not think of a green and pink striped cartoon elephant). So if you want him to not jump up at the leash, teach him a really well rewarded sit - it has to be really well rewarded because for him it needs to be a better option than jumping. But he can't do both; and you want the sit to be the better choice for him. Same with stopping - lure him forward with rewards - either a favourite toy, or food. Labs are usually food driven so think of it as him working for his lunch.

In the house, train a good ”settle down” and have long lasting chews like puzzles or Kongs with frozen food that will take him time to lick clean.

I'm also going to attach a couple of videos that I think will help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is at a difficult age, adolescence can be challenging.

You've said a lot about him not listening and not paying attention, it's a lot easier to frame this if you think about what you do want him to do - dogs struggle with ”not” doing (same as us - see what happens if I ask you to not think of a green and pink striped cartoon elephant). So if you want him to not jump up at the leash, teach him a really well rewarded sit - it has to be really well rewarded because for him it needs to be a better option than jumping. But he can't do both; and you want the sit to be the better choice for him. Same with stopping - lure him forward with rewards - either a favourite toy, or food. Labs are usually food driven so think of it as him working for his lunch.

In the house, train a good ”settle down” and have long lasting chews like puzzles or Kongs with frozen food that will take him time to lick clean.

I'm also going to attach a couple of videos that I think will help you.

Thank you so much!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts