Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm completely new to this. We have adopted a cute little terrier cross from a kennel. It's only been a week and although they treated him for fleas I spotted two on him yesterday. I'm worried I've brought them home from a friends house who has two cats with a flea problem. First question, is this possible? I've been bitten but no other family member has. I'm completely freaked out as. I have cleansing-ness issues (and in the midst of being over whelmed in general). I went and bought a spray for the house and treated the house and was told it's too soon to re-treat the dog. We have flea combed him through and can't find anything, so where did these 2 fleas comes from?! Also why is he still biting himself as if itching? Is it the bites or more fleas?
Sorry to sound so neurotic but I'm really struggling :(

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
What did the shelter put on him to treat the fleas? Was it a monthly preventative, or was it something else?

He may have a flea allergy which means if a flea bites him it'll take days for him to stop itching, you can help by talking to your vet and asking about giving him something like benedryl. He may have some other type of allergy, either environmental or food, or he may have dry skin. Itching can be caused by a variety of thing.

Fleas can hitchhike in on your pants legs, or on the dog. Every now and then I'll find one on my boy usually around the time I need to reapply his flea preventative, but I've yet to have a flea problem in my home. So long as your new dog is on a monthly preventative I wouldn't worry about those two fleas.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Flea treatments like frontline kill fleas by the flea jumping on the dog. It does not repel them. No flea treatment that I know of repels them. They jump on and bite and then die. You will want to keep the dog away from infested places like your friends house or you will bring them home with you. The scratching could be from a flea allergy or from poor quality food that causes dry skin. Most shelters do not feed quality food.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I get where you're coming from. Last thing I want at the house are fleas, and I've had great results when using food-grade diatomaceous earth.

Cheap, can be found in farm and fleet type stores, completed harmless. Spread some of the powder where the dog usually sleeps and hangs out. Leave for a couple of days, then vacuum up. Repeat again a week later and then again a week after that. No more fleas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts