Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a really Cool antique Oil Painting of a very Fine Dog but don't know the Breed even after Internet research. Does anyone know the Breed? Thanks for any help I can get! Gary K
IMGMUTT2.JPG
IMGMUTT3.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Either scan it or photograph it, then look for the paperclip icon by the message box which allows you to attach a file - that opens a little dialogue box with access to your device's files. Then just select the scan or image.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Help on Pictures! It measures 23 x 14 Inches and is Oil on Wood Panel probably late 19th Century. There is no Artist Signature so its purely Folk Art. Originally thought it was a St. Bernard tell I got a good look at one - not! Hope you Experts know! Thanks Again! Gary k

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dont forget painters from around that time didn't always paint things strictly true-to-life you only have to look at Stubbs paintings of horses to understand that. I think your Saint Bernard is probably spot-on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the Help you two! So its St. Bernard / Scotch Collie sounds good to me I will look that Breed up on the Net - Thanks Again! Gary K

·
Registered
590 Posts
Forgot to add... that dog breeds have changed a lot in 100+ years.. Take a look at this and you will see what I mean , so looking at a modern dog proberbly wont be much help anyway! (the st bernard is in there too)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My first thought was St. Bernard too...before the breed was bulked up more. It also kind of reminded me of a Bernese Mountain dog. And as other's have stated, you have breeders changing the looks of some breeds over the decades, as well as artistic freedom involved...the artist might have enhanced some features to make the dog look more rustic, or more pretty, or more softly fur covered. So it may not ever be possible to figure out if that was a pure bred, or just a mix of some kind and the artist found it interesting enough to paint. Or...an owner might have wanted a painting if the dog was that special to the owner.

It is a nice painting though. : )

Stormy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Stormy for your very thoughtful insight as to the Breed of this Dog. Probably the Artist did enhance the Painting so to really know what true Breed it is might be impossible. It is a nice Painting like you said though! Sincerely, Gary K

1 - 12 of 12 Posts