Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help with Rockie. Its a heartbreaking story; his owner from birth passed away in December. Over the past 9 years, she'd been pretty much bedridden, which meant Rockie had her undivided attention. I was her live-in companion/care provider; which meant I was responsible for making certain Rockie "went" outside.

With her passing, her son and his girlfriend have moved into the house, bringing their two little dogs, a shih tzu and a chihuahua. Both the girls are pretty well potty trained however, because of all the stress and changes, Rockie has started marking territory, where he hadn't before. I'm doing my best to try to prevent the marking behavior, but I'm also not going to be here for much longer and don't know if I will be in a position to take Rockie with me when I do leave.

The family is beginning to get very irritated with his marking and I'm running out of ideas on how to help this poor "old man" to cope with his loss. I can handle the constant whining from his separation anxiety and that's starting to get a bit better... its the marking that is the issue. I'm afraid that it might cause him to lose his home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Are they sure this is marking? He is 15 and that's pretty elderly. Also, like Susan said it's possible this might not be the best home for him.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If he is truly marking then a belly band, paired with retraining, would probably be the best solution, if you cannot take him. The problem with using the belly bands is that they will have to check and make sure they are not wet and they will have to clean his stomach area to prevent his developing urine burn.

Thank you so much for wanting to help him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for answering. I would love to take Rockie when I leave here; however, since I'm a private duty nurse, it would all depend upon where I end up going.

Tracie, until the changes began, Rockie was spot on with going outside and hadn't had an accident or marking incident in the house in the entire time I've been here; so I'm fairly certain that this is from all the emotional upset.

I'm also very concerned because he's becoming extremely attached to me since this happened; I'm the one constant from before that hasn't changed. I'm just praying that everything lines up so that I *can* take him with me when I do move out of here. (I'm rather in love with him too lol).

I had thought about the belly band and will be getting one to see if it will help. Luckily, there's a really good pet supply store not that far from here and I know they have them there.

Again thank you for answering and I'll keep you all up to date on what happens!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let me tell you about my Oliver! Time that is what he need lots and lots of Time..I adopted Oliver in Aug its been 5 months now..when we first got him home I could tell right away he missed his previous owners! he was depressed and even tried to run away! He never would cuddle with us! and he paced a lot! as of last week for the first time ever Oliver snuggled up to me! He was so heartbroken it broke my heart! the vet and I believe he is 8 years old...He was marking when I brought him home but once he was neutered he stopped. that does not always work and was not the reason we neutered him, we did it for health reasons and we got lucky it stopped the marking. Poor Rockie is heartbroken :( I think you should keep him!! with some time he will get better Dogs Grieve just like we do only in dog ways. But just like us they need time! (((ROCKY))))

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Two things I'd suggest you start right away. Clean all areas where he's urinated with an enzymatic cleaner. Nature's Miracle is a good one.

I'd also start treating him like a young puppy. Take him out frequently and when he urinates outside, give him a really yummy food tidbit. Try to encourage the family members to avoid punishing him when he goes indoors. The behavior will on increase if he's being yelled at.

Best of luck to you and Rocky.I hope Rocky gets to go with you when you leave. If not,consider contacting a Yorkie rescue group who might be able to place him.

Forgot that he should be checked for a UTI. I do believe this is behavioral but it's always best to rule out anything medical. Talk to the vet, if you are the one who takes him about a situational anti anxiety medication. They can be life saving for dogs like Rocky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts