Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I joined because one week ago, my 15 yr. old beagle had his first bout with vestibular syndrome and it left me shaken. The ER vet said his presentation seemed “strange”, but it seems as though it almost presented slowly with a mild-ish episode on Friday, a mild episode on Saturday, and the most severe episode on Sunday. Friday he had a wide stance, was walking in circles around our dining room table, had some nystagmus for a short time, and some stumbling and vomited. By the time he got in to the vet, most of it had subsided. Saturday was the same. Sunday though, he was fine in in morning and then the wobbling gait started followed by an obvious nystagmus, panting, and just overall obvious panic. Since he was on anti-nausea meds, there was no vomiting. It took about an hour for him to calm down to the point where he’d lay down and he rested most of the rest of the afternoon and evening. We boiled him chicken for dinner and he ate some we fed to him by hand.

Monday, he slept nearly the whole day. He had a rough night Sunday night—clearly unable to get comfortable. We helped him outside to go potty and took him on a short walk to the end of our block which he stumbled thru. He ate some chicken again and was drinking more confidently from his bowls and he slept thru the night. By Tuesday evening, we saw some sparks of his personality coming back and the nystagmus slowed way down. He had developed a head tilt to the right, but his wobbling had also lessened a bit. He wasn’t interested in much chicken, but when my husband was eating beef jerky in bed, Benson wobbled across the mattress to take some out of his mouth—a game they play all the time. Yesterday, Benson’s gait was a little less wobbly and he was interested in getting up on the couch so he could look out the window (his favorite pastime). He ate meatballs for dinner in bed. Today, he barked for the first time since Sunday before the last incident. However, he appears to have developed some body tremors which are causing me some worry. The head tilt is still prominent, and he is still wobbly, but he’s wanting to be back on his normal schedule, eating, sleeping, walking, hanging out outside. I am just getting really concerned about these new tremors.

any insight from anyone out there would be very, very helpful for me. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
No experience but I just wanted to send my sympathy. Vestibular is distressing for everyone.

If the tremors are concerning you, have you called your vet to ask?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No experience but I just wanted to send my sympathy. Vestibular is distressing for everyone.

If the tremors are concerning you, have you called your vet to ask?
He will be going in for his yearly vaccinations in a week or so and I will bring it up at that appointment. They have subsided since I wrote my post so I’ll see if they come back at all but I will mention it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My girl had this 2 years ago when she was 13. It was very scary. It cleared up in about 2 weeks. I saw a little improvement each day. I do believe the episode left her with hearing loss, but other than that, she recovered. I slept on the floor for several weeks beside her, hand fed her and went out to potty with her. She seemed very needy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts