Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
We've had my little guy for about a month now, for the first few days he was scared of everything and then woke up one day and was way more playful and happy, couldn't get him to sit still for a second.

Since then he's always excited to go outside and so happy and excited to meet new people, his tail constantly wagging.

The past few days he's suddenly become scared of absolutely everything! Hardly wants to leave his crate but wants the door open. He'll sit on the couch with me but will only lay down or calm down if he's touching me (normally he'll just sit near my feet but won't touch them if he wants to sleep). Things that have never bothered him before like me opening up the fridge suddenly scares him.

I tried to tempt him out of his crate by putting a few of his favourite treats just outside the crate and walked away and they remain untouched. Its very strange and I'm not sure what to do. Is this normal behaviour or something I should be worried about? He seems to have gone back to being the scared little pup he was the first few days we had him and I don't know why.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems like your pup isn't fully used to everything in the house and gets startled easily, so try and start to introduce your dog to the things might frighten him. But don't just force him because obviously it'll just make him scared even more, so here's what I'd do.
You could take a few treats and put them by something he is scared of, such as the fridge or something he's been scared of.
If your pup was to go near something that he's usually scared of and he randomly starts sniffing it, let him do it because he's trying to understand what it is; he's trying to 'get to know it'.
Make sure to keep your voice down and not loud a lot because because your pup is at a young age, he'll get startled more easily than adult dogs.
Another thing that you should do is talk to your pup in a calm voice, pups like to be talked to especially when they are frightened. Also don't yell at your pup when he has done something wrong, because he most likely will be confused and it could frighten him more.
Because of how it's sounding, It seems to me of it's a normal behavior. Your dog is still a puppy and is still trying to figure out what everything is, and eventually your pup should grow out of it. If your pup is still acting this way for a few more weeks or a month then you should take your dog to a vet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Being that scared doesn't seem normal Maybe something happened to make him think the world is a scary place? Maybe it's just what they call a fear period? My havanese is a sensitive dog he sometimes gets nervous especially around new things and people
I'd build up his confidence play some games with him like "touch" it helps a lot of dogs when they get scared
Kikopup had a great video on YouTube about it
https://youtu.be/RWSJVwZybwo
After he learns touch if he gets scared you can have him touch your hand to take his mind off being scared also "look at that " games are great for sensitive dogs if he looks at the fridge from 10 feet away treat and basically work your way up to getting closer and to opening it
Training a little everyday will help build up confidence too
I agree If he's too scared to leave his crate you might want to check with the vet if nothing else you try works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.