Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 month old Black Lab/Rot mix that over the last 5-6 months has gone from being 100% black on the face to have one half of his face turning white, you can draw a line down the color separation it's so even. Any ideas?

·
Registered
372 Posts
He would have another mix in him to do this. Something that is a lighter colour. Its the only way it happens. My poodles although black, some have whites way back in the generations, so they end up getting lighter quicker or they get white guard hairs all over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
His father is a purebred Rottweiler, and his mother is a pure bred black lab. I have known their owners since before they had the dogs, and keep in touch with a few friends and others that have offspring from different litters and his. Im attaching some pictures to show the progression of the fur color changing. 1st pic from 10/19/08, 2nd from 8/11/08, 3rd from 7/12/08, 4th from 6/3/08

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmm, very weird. Must be some colouring in the lab lines then. Probably through the yellows in there. I noticed he has a white stripe on his chest so its possible to have some colour change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im confused same dog in all pics but the last 2 pic there in no white marking or hardly any markings on the face???

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say from the lab. Most mixes with labs always get white somewhere and I see yours has white on its chest. If someone is claming that a dog is 100% lab and it has white on it then its either not of akc (breeding standards). Its from a backyard breeder which if this wasnt an accidental breeding and they have had other litters then the people ARE back yard breeders and are just contributing to all the dogs in the shelter, or its a cross.

Actually what is interesting not only is the fur changing the pigment on the nose and the uper lip changed. So I would think its something els then just coats... You could see what a vet says, call and ask questions at least that way you wont have to go in and get charged for a visit. An assitant vet could even help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with my regular vet and they want 1400.00 to do a skin and fur biopsy, Called a different vet to get an estimate and their quote was only like 7 dollars cheaper, It does not seem to bother him at all physically as it does not bother me, I was just seeing if anyone on here has seen anything like this before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts