Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, Hannah, almost died last week after, i believe, ingesting something unknown. Had diarrhea and vomited everywhere. Brought her to the hospital and found out she had pancreatitis. She stayed for 6 days on IVs, but she would not eat anything until just recently, thank God!

She’s has had Cushing’s disease for about 2 years now and she’s had high blood pressure for about 6 months, both that she’s on medication for.

The tricky part that I need help with is she also now has kidney disease. Was prescribed a low protein diet with Royal Canin, but she doesn’t eat it at all.. she use to until a couple days before this pancreatitis episode happened and now she’s completely turned off from it. She’s become a VERY picky eater lately. The main ingredient in the Royal Canin is corn too.. that doesn’t sound too healthy to me.

So I’m officially going to be taking over making her meals with everything she needs because I want to turn this around. She was just a happy cheerful dog a week ago, and now it’s like the life is taken out of her right now.

I know it will take some time to bounce back, but I need to get her started on a well balanced diet that she will eat. i’m a chef so i know i can make something delicious for her but i don’t know what she needs or what vegetables she may find appetizing.. I know that’s much to ask for, but if anyone has ever had or known of a similar experience with a Bichon I would love to hear any input.

I don’t know yet if she has high phosphorus levels in her blood, but with kidneys reaching danger levels that is pretty likely right? Would anyone suggest just adding the correct amounts of calcium carbonate into the diet or should I get her prescribed on phosphorus binders?

This is almost an urgent matter until I may have to make the tough decision..

Any help is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
There are a number of foods that dog's can't metabolize very well. Chief among them are chocolate and foods containing xylitol. Certain fruits (eg. grapes, raisins), some nuts, vegetables (eg. avocado, garlic, onion) and dairy products are also potentially harmful to dogs.

If you're going to make your own food for your dog I would advise researching the issue first. Dogs are not people and you might be better off looking for a source of high quality dog food than to try "rolling your own" as it were.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top