Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
He is 14 weeks old? If you are 100000% sure he won't have an accident in the playpen (which I highly doubt--bc it's a 14 week old toy breed puppy) then use the playpen. If there is any chance he will....it will seriously set you back in house training.

I would crate. Or use the playpen and make sure your husband religiously takes the dog out on a strict schedule so the dog never has an accident. And when I say never I mean never.

I would give your dog "freedom" in small increments. Like first try 20 minutes, then 40, then an hour than 2 hours etc...potty training **TO COMPLETION** is so important in tiny dogs, or it can become a lifelong problem. So do everything you can to prevent accidents from happening now so your dog can enjoy freedom later. That might mean freedoms *with restrictions* for 1-2 years.

I don't personally know any toy breed dogs that don't have accidents from time to time or even regularly. And that's because their owners rushed to give them freedoms they didn't earn yet

· Registered
397 Posts
Some dogs will NEVER signal that they want to go out. Ever. You can try teaching them a signal or just gaming them out on a schedule.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts