Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I don't usually use forums but I've been reading so much advice here that I felt I really should do my own post.
We picked up our 14 week old Beagle puppy Luna on Wednesday (it's now Saturday night) and to say it's been a bit overwhelming is an understatement. She's both mine and my partners first dog so even though we both did our research I'm not sure it prepares you.

Our first problem is that she eats EVERYTHING outside.
We had a gravled area and she just relentlessly ran over to eat the Stones everytime we were outside and would eat them. I'd remove them from her mouth and tell her 'NO' but it did nothing. Knowing how dangerous this was we got rid and covered with paving slabs. But now she just licks the slabs over and over knowing at them and if she finds a stone anywhere she immediately eats it. What am I going to do when I can walk her!? Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop this?

The other thing is she seems to pee in her crate overnight. Do we think the crateight be too big? She's great the rest of the time and we always let her out if she stirs.

She also cries if we EVER leave her in her crate alone, or shut a door on her. She has in fact poo'd on the kitchen floor because she was left for 5 minutes alone. The best we've been able to do is stay with her while she falls asleep and then creep out. I'm off work for two weeks but can't ever see her being ok with time alone.

I'm feeling SO overwhelmed with it. I'm crying and feeling like I should take her back to her breeders, that I won't ever get it right and this won't ever pass. I love her already but I just don't know if I can handle it. Does it get better? I'm sorry for the really long post. And would so appreciate some help.

Katie

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand how you feel. A couple months ago, we got our puppy too. I made the mistake of putting his crate in my bedroom the first night and he kept barking so I put him in another room. No matter what, don't go in while she's barking.
I started putting my puppy to bed later(and taking him out to pee right before) and that helped. The first couple weeks, he kept barking when I put him in and early in the morning. I just kept ignoring him and he eventually learned not to.
My pup kept peeing in his crate as well, even if I took him out right before I put him to bed. What REALLY helped, was we moved him to sleep in an extra room in an x-pen (with a tarp on the bottom and a puppy pad). Now, he never barks, and pees on the puppy pad.

I hope I helped:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My potty training method is not the standard, so take it for what you will, I have recently started to put my pups in bed with me, this works because I am more easily awakened when they start moving around and I can get up before they really wake up and take them right outside. The end result, I have found, is that they are less fidgety, they sleep for longer periods of time than when crated, and they don't do all that fusing because they are exactly where they want to be. I have done this with my last two rescue dogs and have had one incident in the house recently from Mister who is a year and a half old. That was only because he was sick. I transitioned them both into their own beds after about 2 weeks and other than a little fussing at bedtime they settled into that routine just fine. They sleep in our room uncrated and I don't have to worry about then pottying. Now clothing theft is another issue ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It helps heaps to know that other people have experienced the same. We gave her lots of play time today and then after wee's and poo's have put her in her crate for some down time. So I can finally have a shower! She's not so happy in there but I'm ignoring it. Their cries are heartbreaking!

She's also started digging in the garden. Any advice on this?

Thanks again so much!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dogs don't speak english, so telling her NO and taking the stone away isn't going to help. You need to reward the behavior you want, and you need to create a world where the behavior you want happens.

So take her to a spot in the yard where there are no rocks, but put out sticks and toys for her to interact with. Praise her as she plays and give treats. This will help communicate the behavior that you want.

Remember that pups often aren't aware they have to go until they have to go, so don't think the dog is trying to 'get even with you' by pooping in the kitchen when left alone. Poop or peeing when stressed is also normal, so if the dog is simply freaking out about being alone, more accidents will happen.

I'd strongly suggest taking the pup out when it is likely to need to go, rather than waiting for the dog to give you some sort of signal. As before, when the dog poos outside, heap on the praise. Bring dog outside in morning, in evening just before doggie bed time, after play sessions, and after every meal and water drinking (you can usually wait a little while after eating/drinking, but bring pup out soon after)

You can resize crate by putting a box in there but I think more potty breaks initiated by you is going to be the best solution.

If she likes to dig, can you find her a spot where it is okay for her to dig? Reward digging there, scold and relocate when she digs someplace else.

As far has her whining in the crate, you just have to put her in and walk away and let her whine, teach her that whining will not draw attention.

all of this is easier said than done

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a dog that eats rocks, the one in my profile pic. She needs to be muzzled when outside to prevent it.. no amount of training or counterconditioning helped! There's a thing called 'pica' that maayyy be affecting your pup, if s/he doesn't grow out of it ask your vet about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well did you research Beagles? They are hunting dogs. They will eat and dig and bark.

I would take to an area without rocks or make your backyard safer.
I cant help on the digging.
Make the crate smaller. It only needs to be tall enough to stand and wide enough to turn around/lay down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling SO overwhelmed with it. I'm crying and feeling like I should take her back to her breeders, that I won't ever get it right and this won't ever pass. I love her already but I just don't know if I can handle it. Does it get better? I'm sorry for the really long post. And would so appreciate some help.

Katie
The first few weeks with my own puppy were killer. But let me tell you right now,IT GETS BETTER. I have learned a lot of puppies now from everyone here, so I will tell you what I have learned. Your puppy is only a baby so is missing her old home and family so of course she will cry. Any child, or puppy would. My own aussie cried for hours on end when we started to crate train her. What I did was puppy the crate in a room of the house with a tv, put the tv on. Something with talking voices, like the news. I put a blanket over the top to make the crate darker and placed in her in side with a kong filled with goodies. Once the kong was gone she would start to wine. Thats fine. I let me soon. Took two hours to even think about stopping. Once she did I praised her for and let her out. THen did the same thing a hour later. Took her 3 days to know what she was doing wrong but she got it.

My puppy also started to eat rock. I found out she was missing something in her food that she was not getting enough of. Also most puppy are super mouthy, they are losing the baby teeth and getting the adult teeth in, so her gums may be a bit on the sore side. Some puppys love to taste new things with their mouths. Anything they can get into and eat they may. What I did to keep my puppy from eating something was when I saw her chewing on something I would come up and spray her with some bitter apple spray. (trainer said to try it) and it worked. Soon she learned putting things like rocks, dirt...etc in her mouth that are not her toys she got to taste the bitter apple. Dont worry it will get better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your reassurance and advice. Today's another hard day, but I think it's because I'm off work and on my own and it feels so constant. She's in her crate at the moment after some play time. And actually, she hasn't whined yet so that's really good.

She's had a funny tummy so she's on plain chicken and rice at the moment. That could be what the stone and mud eating is couldn't it? I really hope when we can put her back on puppy food it'll stop. The mud eating doesn't worry me too much, that passes through its just the stones. That could make her so ill.

I knew this would be challenging but I guess reality is always way different than the thought of it. She's just a baby and none of this is her fault so I feel so guilty for feeling this way.

Knowing that most people have felt similar makes it a lot easier.

I may have to get a muzzle for her for the time being especially if it continues when we can walk her.

I also have some bitter apple spray on order. Do you spray it in her mouth?

I treat her all the time, and reward her good behaviour constantly. She's learning I'm sure of it.

Thank you all again.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
I have a dog that eats rocks, the one in my profile pic. She needs to be muzzled when outside to prevent it.. no amount of training or counterconditioning helped! There's a thing called 'pica' that maayyy be affecting your pup, if s/he doesn't grow out of it ask your vet about it.
Here's a thread about Redwood's dog. You might find the suggestions helpful. I'm also wondering if the rock-eating is a behavioral issue or a health one.

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/eating-rocks-175226/

About the bitter apple, always spray the objects. Never spray inside her mouth.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For eating random things, you simply want to teach her to leave anything that isn't set down specifically for her. There are many ways to train a dog, but I personally prefer positive reinforcement. This is a good video for teaching a leave it for safety (like if you drop pills in the kitchen). It links to beginning "leave it" tutorials as well, so you can start from there and build up.

For peeing in the crate, she's two weeks over the threshold when puppies can actually start being able to control their bladder and bowels. You should be taking her out around 20 minutes after she eats her meals. For general time, she should be on a regular schedule of going out to do her business around every 3 1/2 hours or less (depending on how often accidents happen). This includes night time. If you let her out to go to the bathroom at 9:00 in the evening before bed, you should wake up at the latest 12:30 to take her out again until she can hold it for a longer period of time.

She's new. She's been separated from her mother and siblings. She's probably suffering from mild separation anxiety and that's why she's crying in the crate. This video and the videos linked to from there are good for teaching your puppy to feel safe and enjoy her crate. There is also at least one video on that channel to positively train against separation anxiety.

Good luck with the little pupper!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
First of all i can fully symphatize with how overwhelming it is. Heck for a few weeks i had a major hard time having a shower while my Jessie who was 9 weeks onward cried and barked non stop. It truly got to me i was at my wits end. I signed her up for puppy pre school and the trainer was fantastic. one day i recorded Jessie crying and barking on the tape recorder and went early to class and let the trainer listen to it. She said its a confiment issue here you need to try some peanut butter on treats that will last ages and if that doesnt work try the peanut butter in a kong.

So i tried the first suggestion didnt work so i tried the kong filled with peanut butter when i put her in the crate she was super happy and for the first time in weeks i had my first ten minute shower in peace! thats all i had to do when i went out or had a shower to help her anxiety and confiment issue. it was a life saver puppy pre school i then went on to do puppy school then domestic 1 2 3 4 and we were onto canine good citizen till i ran into health problems but hoping to go back next term.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts