Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help! Monte is our older dog, not much older, we've had him for a year and he is probably around 14 months old. He has always been a very active dog with a ton of energy. We recently got Luna, she is bout 5 months old. She is a total snuggler and naturally pretty laid back...until she and Monte get together. He refuses to allow her to play with ANY toys. They can each have a toy and he will still try and take hers away (same with treats). He is also quite a bit rough with her. He is about 65 lbs and she is currently 15-20 lbs. He bites at her (not entirely closing his mouth) and sometimes grabs her by the skin on her neck. She doesn't seem to mind it too much and plays along (even tries to go back to him when we separate them or carry her) however you do hear the occasional squeal. Also we have been noticing she gets little bumps from the fighting. This generally happens early in the morning right when they wake up and any time when they get excited (someone gets home, new visitor, etc.). I cannot figure out how to teach Monte to be more gentle. He was never around other puppies and even with us did not properly learn bite inhibition (he pretty much nipped and bit until he turned a 10 months old). Any advice would help! I am just trying to ensure they both have a happy and safe life!

Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
We have six older dogs and just got a new puppy, so I understand where you are completely. It takes patience, persistence, and understanding what is triggering the behaviors.
For our dogs, they know they are not allowed to hurt the puppy, but we have taught them they are allowed to reprimand him for being out of line. For example, since he is a herding dog, he tries to herd them. They will growl and snap, but never actually bite him. The same if he jumps on them or tries to take their treats.
However, they also know that they are not allowed to be mean to our puppy, since the puppy is ours and we are the boss. If our dogs actually fight or begin to get out of line in their growling, we tell them a firm, quick no and give them a firm, but not mean, tap on the neck. This snaps their mind out of their aggression and tells them to simmer down.
If our dogs are really fighting, we usually have to grab them and put them on their backs, because they know that fighting is a big no-no, but rough play and fighting are two different things.
Walking the dogs together may help them learn to get along. As would making sure the puppy gets a chance to play with toys as well and that Monte lets her have her own treats. He naturally wants to be the boss, but he most learn that being in a pack involves getting along as well.

Feel free to ask any other questions. We aren't experts, but we have 9 dogs worth of experience, so hopefully we can help.

Best of luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts