Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bubby is THRIVING on his training, but still barks at strangers (not dogs though). He has to sit for his food and is getting fixed sometime next month, and once that happends he will be able to stay in the house a LOT more often. He still likes to rough-play, and we are thinking in December to adopt another dog. I really want a puppy lab, german shepherd, or pitbull. I have had experiances with all the breeds but I really want a purebred because (no offence to mutts), all the mix breeds Ive owned gave me a lot more problems then my purebreds have :/
I dont really want to pay more for obediance, so I want to be careful on choosing the dog. Even though I really want a puppy, I was thinking about getting an older dog. They arent that hyper and since no one really wants to adopt an elderly dog from a shelter, I figured I would be doing something good and it there would be a lot less problems. Theres just one thing wrong with that. Bubby is only about nine months old so would he put stress on the older dog? Since I am adopting I am gonna introduce them at first.
Anyway, Bubby will most likely spend the day outside and come in at night or in the evening until morning because it tends to freeze at night. I would like to keep the older dog inside most of the time. I want to adopt one thats house trained, and that doesnt have a lot of health issues since I like to get out a lot and I dont really like leaving my dog(s) behind. I would just like opinions on whether to adopt an elderly dog or to get a dog about the same age as Bubby.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I think the misconception about mutts having worse behavior is because people tend to excuse behavioral issues linked to a specific breed, so pure bred dogs have their "typical issues". Whatever you decide to do training is still a must. If the dog you get is older and already trained then you may have an easier time doing it at home but you can never assume a dog you get due to breed won't need obedience training.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its not their fault, but I dont really have time to do the same thing over again that I had to do with Bubby. If its necessary, I will do it, its just that I perfer not to.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If you decide on the Pit bull just know that leaving the two together unsupervised is a huge no no.

A Dog about a year or two old will be pretty set as far as temprament (so what you see is basically what your getting)and wont be to annoyed by the puppy.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think we will be getting a pitbull unless it is a mix or is a young puppy, but as of now Im kinda going into a 3-5yr old german shepherd, or GSD mix. Labs are like two year old kids and never change, or atleast thats my opinion and one is enough for me right now lol. If we did get a pitbull, it would most likely stay in the other end of the house (we have a gate that seperated Bubby and the two dachshunds, until they passed away). I would never leave Bubby with any other dog unsupervised unless I was 100% confident 0-0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts