Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old girl is walking around aimlessly and, usually around 6pm, she won't settle and keeps walking around. Often her legs (back) give out and she falls. Sometimes all four go out and she sprays her legs out and can't seem to muster the strength to get back up. Her tongue is all the way out and she is panting heavily.

She is drinking water (a lot) and eating a little each day. I thought it was something neurological and brought her to one vet who basically told me it was NOT any mini-stroke or neurological thing, but that she was "in pain" and that's why she didn't want to use her legs ! After paying $550 , I am still at a loss as to what is the problem with her. I feel so bad when I watch her fall and struggle to get up. She is about 13-14 years old and a shitzu-pekinese mix.

Should I put her down? I will miss her terribly.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Did the vet run any tests? I may be totally wrong here but muscle weakness, poor appetite and drinking I think can be signs of endocrine problems.

That said, she is an old lady and you do need to ask yourself whether you want to subject her to tests for little, if any, gain.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If this were my dog I would want to try to find out what is causing the pain, because just saying the dog is old wouldn't be enough for me. I would want to know if there were anything that could be done to remedy it.

But this is a very personal and individual thing, and only you can make that decision. when it comes the end of a dog's life the main thing to ask yourself is how good is the quality of that dog's life on a daily basis. If she is still enjoying her life, despite falling down, then that is one thing. If she is unhappy or you can tell she is in pain and you cannot relieve it, then it may be time to let go. It's the hardest decision in the world, but if you follow your heart and put her needs first, you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I am in a similar position with my 16 year old Shih Tzu x Maltese. He is pretty well blind and is deaf but still asks to go outside (never has made a single mistake in the house his whole life). He sometimes sits and his head shakes and he falls sometimes but he still eats good and sits on the bed at night to get his treat along with the other dogs. I don't let him sleep on the bed any more as he might fall off. He bounces around when I take him outside and seems happy and not sore anywhere.

I hate the thought of just turning him over to an attendant outside the Vet as they will not let you go in with them. He has always been shy of strangers since I got him at a year old.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am in a similar position with my 16 year old Shih Tzu x Maltese. He is pretty well blind and is deaf but still asks to go outside (never has made a single mistake in the house his whole life). He sometimes sits and his head shakes and he falls sometimes but he still eats good and sits on the bed at night to get his treat along with the other dogs. I don't let him sleep on the bed any more as he might fall off. He bounces around when I take him outside and seems happy and not sore anywhere.

I hate the thought of just turning him over to an attendant outside the Vet as they will not let you go in with them. He has always been shy of strangers since I got him at a year old.
It sounds to me as if your dog is still enjoying life enough to stick around a while yet. You will know when the day is right.

As for the vet, I think that's terrible, even if it is because of Covid. You might ask if they'd be willing to do it at the very end or beginning of the day, and step out to your car for it.
That is what my vet has done, so that my animal has not had to go into the office. Of course, my vet is exceptional, but you never know until you ask.

If that's not possible, maybe you can find a different vet to go to. For me, there's no way on earth I would be separated from my animal at that time.
One thing you could research is if you have any mobile vets in your area. where I live, there are a couple of vets who provide at-home euthanasia services. If you have something like that lined up ahead of time, you won't have to look for one when the time comes.
i wish you well...........

·
Registered
791 Posts

Mobile vet?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Actually a few years ago when I had my Bernese cross dog put down, the Vet came out and did it in the back of my Van so she did not have to go into the Vet Hospital but that was before Covid but I will ask them if it comes to that before things go back to usual.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Actually a few years ago when I had my Bernese cross dog put down, the Vet came out and did it in the back of my Van so she did not have to go into the Vet Hospital but that was before Covid but I will ask them if it comes to that before things go back to usual.
We have a few mobile vets that specialize in, and are properly equipped for euthanasia. One of them travels with an assistant.
At the end of 2019, I had to make that decision for my 14.5 yr old Border Collie. (my favorite of all time) That happened about a month before the vets stopped allowing customers inside, so I was able to be with her. I had one of mine spayed while the parking thing was going on..That was very unpleasant.
A few weeks ago, they advised that they had begun allowing us back inside, but that was before Covid hit the fan again. Been trying to set up an appointment for a yearly health check for one of mine next month with no luck so far.

Hoping that it doesn't come to that for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts